HVAC circuit breakers?

There is quite a price difference, but what is the functional difference between HVAC breakers and standard ones?

I didn't know there was any difference. I use standard breakers in my panel for my A/C unit; always have.
Wade Lippman wrote:

A standard 240-volt, single phase breaker is a breaker. If the breaker is the right size for the HVAC equipment then it will work.
I have never seen a HVAC breaker, maybe a three phase breaker?
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Moe Jones wrote:

"HACR" breaker.
http://www.iaei.org/subscriber/magazine/00_d/johnston.htm
Scroll about half way down.
The mfr listing for the equipment will determine the OC protection which *must* be used.
Jim
Sounds like BS. Never heard tell of such a thing. Use standard breakers for the a/c and furnace, then go out to dinner and not worry about it.
steve

Probably only the UL listing. If the nameplate says use HACR circuit breaker, then that is what is required.
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:34:21 -0400, "John Grabowski"

John has the right answer. Fortunately most modern molded case breakers are rated HACR these days so a "regular" breaker is probably fine.

"OPINING DELAY"

Allows a brief current surge, for starting the motor. As opposed to a breaker for other things, which trips more quickly in case of over current.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Quit posting on things you know nothing about.