HVAC circuit breakers?

There is quite a price difference, but what is the functional difference between HVAC breakers and standard ones?

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I didn't know there was any difference. I use standard breakers in my panel for my A/C unit; always have.

Reply to
Andrew Duane

A standard 240-volt, single phase breaker is a breaker. If the breaker is the right size for the HVAC equipment then it will work.

I have never seen a HVAC breaker, maybe a three phase breaker?

Reply to
Moe Jones

"HACR" breaker.

Scroll about half way down.

The mfr listing for the equipment will determine the OC protection which *must* be used.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sounds like BS. Never heard tell of such a thing. Use standard breakers for the a/c and furnace, then go out to dinner and not worry about it.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Probably only the UL listing. If the nameplate says use HACR circuit breaker, then that is what is required.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Allows a brief current surge, for starting the motor. As opposed to a breaker for other things, which trips more quickly in case of over current.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quit posting on things you know nothing about.

Reply to
<kjpro

John has the right answer. Fortunately most modern molded case breakers are rated HACR these days so a "regular" breaker is probably fine.

Reply to
gfretwell

"OPINING DELAY"

Reply to
Tony

replying to Wade Lippman, AC GOD wrote: The 2 main differences between a square D hvac breaker and a standard square D QO series breaker is The way it mounts. A standard breaker is powered through the mounting clips and sends power through lugs .. HVAC breakers have lugs for incoming power on bottomband lugs or spade blades on top to distribute power. These are typicslly found on air handlers with heat strips and are used instead of fuses..

Reply to
AC GOD

replying to Wade Lippman, AC GOD wrote: The 2 main differences between a square D hvac breaker and a standard square D QO series breaker is The way it mounts. A standard breaker is powered through the mounting clips and sends power through lugs .. HVAC breakers have lugs for incoming power on bottomband lugs or spade blades on top to distribute power. These are typicslly found on air handlers with heat strips and are used instead of fuses..

Reply to
AC GOD

You are confusing HCAR rated breakers and QOM breakers that bolt to the bus. Any breaker can be backfed if you use the supplemental retainer clip (or a screw in some styles)

Reply to
gfretwell