HVAC air intake near gas heater

Page 1 of 6
I have a home with a basement. We had it built in 1999. The HVAC (gas) sits right next to the gas water heater. This utility room is around 20' x 8' with a tight door, located in the basement. There are two cold air returns on the 1st floor.
The HVAC metal ducting that goes into the attic for the cold air returns has two large holes in it with vents, right beside the gas water heater. If I remove the grills and cover up these so they can't get air, the duct work at that location gets sucked in slightly due to the negative air pressure (I think I'm saying this right.)
I read in a Popular Mechanics that you don't want cold air returns near the furnace. I know nothing about this stuff. Are these vents cold air returns? Is this an issue? Should I have these vents closed off and another cold air return piped to the hallway?
Thank you;
Edwin

YES
Return air is prohibited to be pulled from an equipment room by IMC. Seal them off and add a new return to the hallway.
You need to make sure you still have adequate airflow after your changes.

Gorsh!
On Aug 21, 11:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't understand why the system would have any return vents in what sounds like an unfinished basement utility room, let alone next to the gas water heater. All your doing is sucking air out of the basement, which has to come from somewhere, either outside or conditioned air from upstairs, etc, which wastes energy. Having it near the water heater of course is much worse, as it can interfere with the correct combustion flow of the heater, easily suck up any CO from a malfunctioing heater, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Could the ducts be for combustion air?
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Not when it effects the return air ducting.
Quote: If I remove the grills and cover up these so they can't get air, the duct work at that location gets sucked in slightly due to the negative air pressure (I think I'm saying this right.)

Of course now you'll claim that you knew that. Sure, we believe you, uh- hunh...

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Oh my, the idiot police have arrived... an e for an a...
However, my statement *is* true, unlike a lot of your shit.

try to lie your way out of it like always.
Looks like you can't even handle the English language much less a technical subject. Sorry 'bout that. Maybe you should just focus trying to display some competence? Of course that is probably beyond your capabilities...
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Then, by all means, prove that it's wrong. BTW, my posts are always based on facts. Unlike yours, which contain lie after lie.

No problems here, sorry you can't handle the heat and have to make up shit.

Hey ladies, could you please take your bickering over to alt.cat.fight and let the rest of us try to solve the OP problems? Thanks!

I solved them with my first post. Yer Welcome!

Point out one lie. There isn't a single one. You had to ask why a liquid line won't sweat and you can't provide a clear technical explanation of the return duct function.

It's real simple. Go to a dictionary. Look-up "effect" and "affect." Note the difference. Nothing made up at all. Sorry that you can't admit your errors and move on.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

So, you want to bring in your lies from another thread, Eh? I NEVER asked WHY a LL would sweat. But, you made it very clear that you know nothing about mini-splits!
Nothing I have posted in this thread is inaccurate either, so why don't you STFU.

Just like your butt buddy with the "you" for "your"... But, since that's all you got, run with it, right?
My statements are facts, I'm sorry that you're incompetent and can't keep up in a technical discussion.

demonstrates your incompetence. Nothing you can say will change those simple facts. Oh, also don't tell me what to do dumbass.

No, that's not correct. You were attempting to communicate and failed miserably. So sorry but that's just the way it is.

Let's see here now. You don't know why a liquid line won't sweat and you can't tell the difference between an "effect" and an "affect." Ok. Now you want to say I'm incompetent. Wow. You have a serious reality disconnect there bud. Get help now!
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

My post was dead on accurate. Nothing you can do or say will change that fact!

I know the way it is, you're a complete moron. Try all you want, nothing will change this fact either.

Ok Dipshit, it was a technical discussion on mini-splits, that you know nothing about. But, a LL can indeed sweat, under the right conditions.
You can argue all you want, you don't know the facts and will never be capable of understanding them. So, please refrain from posting more of your lies on the subject.

line. Got it?

line won't sweat and you refuse to acknowledge the difference between "affect" and "effect." Just who is the story teller? Hmmmm?
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

That's like saying if your water heater goes out, the hot supply line isn't the hot supply line anymore. You're so clueless that you could start school all over again.

I used an 'e' for an 'a'... however, that doesn't make my post inaccurate. I'm sorry you're to incompetent to understand this.
BTW, you have posted lie after lie... it just keeps growing.

So, you don't have it yet. A compressor discharge line will not sweat. A liquid line will not sweat. If it's sweating then it is something else. Don't try to understand it, just accept it.

Actually it does. Now if "effect" meant the same as "affect" then your post might be accurate. Got it?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Sorry, I don't accept fiction for facts. Fact is, a LL can sweat under the right circumstances.
The other fact, is that you're so far out in left field you couldn't keep up in the technical discussion. Must suck to be so incompetent that you have to make shit up.

Are you ready for your treat now?