Husqy or Stihl?

I am looking at the Husky 455 and 460 with a 20" bar. A very good friend says he is a lifelong Stihl fan. I have seen and like both. What are your opinions on both? I have a Husky now, and I love it. I just need a bigger saw, and will be spending a chunk of change, so wanted to get some input first.
Are the Husky XP's worth the extra? Same for the Stihl Pro models?
Thanks
On Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:13:00 PM UTC-8, SteveB wrote:

Both makes are excellent saws. Pro models are worth it if you are doing a lot of cutting.
When choosing a saw you should also consider service and buy one that has good service where you are. In my case it is Stihl (I run 4 of them).
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Hi, In our area Husqy is less popular due to scarce service/parts.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Shindaiwa, known since the merger as the Echo models that end in "P". Also be sure to get proper "pro" chains, not the horrid consumer "safety" chains that couldn't cut butter.
On 12/05/2013 10:13 PM, SteveB wrote:

I buy what the top professionals buy and Asplundh Tree Service uses Stihl.

Both are very good and yes, the pro models are worth it. I'd choose the dealer as the saws are about equal.
If it is the same dealer for both brands, I'd pick up the saws and see if one feels better in your hands to use.

Have you asked the same question at a couple of dealers that service both brands?
On 12/6/2013 5:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Isn't that like asking a used car salesman if his car is any good?

I don't think so. I bought my snowblower at an independent dealer that sells multiple brands. He asked me for my requirements, pointed out a few options (different brands) and recommended an Ariens based on what he's seen from a service perspective in my price range. There were cheaper options and more expensive options. Cheaper meant less reliability, expensive meant features that I could live without. I chose the Ariens and used to be satisfied.
I say "used to be" because 2 years later they upgraded my model to have a remote controlled discharge chute, controlled from behind the operator's console. That pissed me off.
I'm short and can't (actually _couldn't_ is the correct word...read on) reach the discharge chute handle from behind the machine. Once I found out how much a new chute and console would cost if I wanted to upgrade my machine, I chose a cheaper upgrade option, one that cost me less than $10. Note the extended handle for the discharge chute.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-32993-1349390888902.jpg
The hooks are so that I can carry a shovel or two when I take the machine on the road.

They are both good makes. Nothing to choose between them.

Nothing? Really?
Then they must be the exact same saw. Same weight, same balance, same color, same gas cap, same chain adjustment method, same everything.
I'm surprised they have a different name tag on them.

Dunno how consistent the Husky will start. However, we use Stihl at work on a consistent basis, IMHO, they are a POS for starting. Except for the mini, which we use in the buckets, and have a primer bulb. They are a nice unit, starts most times on first pull.
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:37:13 -0800, Oren wrote:

I went with the Husky.
It was, for an 18" 445, cheaper by about 50 bucks. Other than that, I'm not sure if it matters.
I did have a Craftsman (Poulan) and it died within 18 months. The pistons were scored. I have yet, to this day, understood how that happened; but, as a result, I vowed never to buy a Craftsman chainsaw ever again.
Now I go through chains once a year, but, at least the engine is running well.
In hindsight, the Stihl had an easier chain removal procedure; so, maybe I *should* have bought that instead, as I'm constantly sharpening the chain...
On 12/11/2013 2:05 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Round file. Sharpen on the bar.
--
.