Husky or Kobalt?

Hi I am currently selling all of my Craftsman tools to replace them with either Husky or Kobalt. After reading alot of threads, I have yet to see a comparison between just Husky and Kobalt tools. So I have a few questions.

  1. Which brand is better in your opinions?
  2. Who has a wider selection of sizes, types of tools etc?
  3. When one breaks does either Home Depot or Lowes give you problems about getting the replaced?
Reply to
super2324us

I can't speak for Kobalt (Lowes) as I don't own any of their stuff. I do have Husky and their tools seem to be pretty solid. I did bugger up a torx bit a while back (whoever invented those damn things should be shot!) and went back to HD to get a replacement. While they were more than happy to replace it, they weren't set up to just replace a piece at a time at the local store. They finally dug into a set and pulled out the piece I needed. I suppose you'd probably have to send off the broken item to get a replacement. Why sell your Craftsman tools? Mine are 20-25 years old and doing just fine. I have a store locally that has each individual item available should any break. I did get a few socket wrenches from them ages ago that were of a bad design. They've been happy to take them in exchange for their new stuff. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Which are made in the US? That will answer your question. Hmmmm come to think of it, probably both made by the same company in China and stamped with a different name. Wonder if Snap On is still built in the US?

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Are you implying that you feel a need to have all of your tools be the same brand? Why? No manufacturer makes the best of everything.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

Why? Did they get stale?

About the same.

Craftsman, Mac, Snap On

I've never bought either brand you ask about as there are better tools out there.

I have Craftsman that are 40years old and, IMO, they are better than some of the present ones. That said, I have other brands and see no reason not to mix them as I add or replace tools. The only Husky I have are about 20 years old so I'd not use them to compare to the tools made today, but the ratchet wrench is very good, the sockets crappy.

Neither Lowes nor HD are the best sources of tools, IMO.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Hi I am currently selling all of my Craftsman tools to replace them with either Husky or Kobalt"

why?

for the average (or even above average) DIY'er Craftsman hand tools are good enough, I've used them for more than 30 years w/ no complaints.

Yeah, they're not Snap-On but then again they only cost 20% of Snap-On.

If I used hand tools all day everday, I get more SNap-On's. They are pleasure to use, they feel great in the hand

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Keep the Craftsman, sell the foreign crap (Husky and Kobalt). I see no reason to pay the same or more for imported tools that aren't as good so stick with Craftsman.

Reply to
scott21230

Craftsman is by far the best of the lot. Why sell it? They are guaranteed for life, regardless of who bought them, so they will never wear out. I owned a pair of Craftsman hedge shears. Turned them in after 20 years because of a qc prolem. No questions, they replaced them.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Why? If warantee replacement is such a big concern, stick with Craftsman!

After reading alot of threads, I have yet

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Out of sheer curiosity why are you selling tools (particularly ones with a lifetime guarantee) only to rebuy them?

I can't imagine all your hand tools are ready for replacement at once...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I scratched my head also when I read the post.

I have been into cars (restoring, rebuilding, fixing, breaking, fixing, fixing fixing) for almost 50 years now... have 2 garages on my property both have lifts.. which should give everyone an idea that I use my tools...

I honestly can only remember breaking one Craftsman socket and yes it was replaced free of charge even though I used it wrong...(normal socket..but used it on an impact wrench...)...

80 percent of my wrenches etc tools are Craftsman...the other 20 percent are Snap On....

Now to be honest both of my sons are now in their early to mid 30's and when they were around the house I did keep a toolbox of Harbor Freight wrenches etc UNLOCKED in the garages for them to "borrow" and loose... which they did ... but again to be truthful I do not remember any of those wrenches breaking....

Selling Crapsman wrenches only to replace them is in my opinion DUMB.

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

If you ask me, I would say keep your Craftsman Tools, But if you want to but cheaper tools, but still have a great Warrenty buy KOBALT! They are better than Huskey Trust me! IF anything goes wrong on a Kobalt tool, take it back to LOWES and they will replace it HASSLE-FREE like it says on the label of every item! I know, becuase I have done it before and they ask you nothing, and they get the item for you! so IMO If you dont want to pay a lot of money go with Kobalt for the Great tools and Same warrenty as Craftsman, But hey a CHEAPER Price, imagine that! Have fun with the tools!

Reply to
Gutierrez99

I bought a Husky AND the extended warranty figuring it would fail within the three years of the contract. Immediate replacement guarantee. I figure I will go through two or three compressors in the three years by just wearing them out.

I used it yesterday to spray a gallon of wrought iron paint. Heated it up enough to smell the paint frying on it. Really used it.

Sometimes the extended warranties make sense mathematically over a more expensive compressor. This one was $399, and an IR of the same size was $550. the IR would out last the Husky, but it doesn't have the replacement clause.

I also got a full replace ment guarantee on my Toshiba laptop. It even covers batteries, which I will probably use two of in the life of the contract. They, in my clairvoyance, I foresee something like running over it with my motorhome to get a free replacement or equal value credit. They changed it this year to include accidental damage. And running over it with a 21,000# motorhome would surely qualify as an accident.

Right?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB