Hurricane Supply Kit

Page 3 of 3

You could probable treat the water with the clorox you have at hand, and know treatment amounts, without looking on Internet.
Greg

When you mix bleach into the water if you get it JUST to the point where you can smell it in the water, it is already sterile enough to kill off bacteria and viruses and other bugs. If you use any more than that you're not doing anything but making the water less drinkable.
Iodine is also a well-proven water sterilizer.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:25:02 -0700, "David Kaye"

It is worth buying a swimming pool 2 bottle test kit if you think you will be purifying water. You want your drinking water right in the same range as a pool. Washington DC city water tested "ideal" with a test kit when I lived there. It works out to 2-3 drops of bleach in a gallon of water, depending on how fresh the bleach is. Wait about 10 minutes before you test or drink the water

Right here and now I want to correct something. Putting any chemical into water is NOT purifying it, but sterilizing it or disinfecting it. You actually don't want pure water because it's too easy to grow stuff in it. But you do want sterile water.

Actually, 2 drops per QUART of water (4 times the amount you recommend): http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfect_drinking_water.pdf
gregz wrote:

I heard that putting questionable water in a clear, disposable bottle and leaving it in the sun for a day will sterilize it.
I'm pretty sure that's reasonable, but haven't verified the process.

Swimming pools don't work to well in the sun.
I would not trust puddles of water either.
Greg