Hurricane season approaches

Page 2 of 2
"> This is Turtle.

From your mouth to GOD's ears. AMEN
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:20:41 GMT, "Chuck B."

Exactly 20 years ago this year we in New England experienced Hurricane Gloria. There was extensive damage and we were without power for 10 days. Many others for far longer. 'nuff said.
After the hurricane passed I then purchased a new generator. Doing the calculations previously suggested I purchased a Honda 6500 Wat electric start 120/220V two cylinder water cooled unit. It has served me well with very little maintenance and I have it wired feeding 220V to my main through a transfer switch.
My point is and like others have stated - you get what you pay for and if you want piece of mind, be willing to spend the mone for it. I am happy I did and it will probably go for at least another 20 years.
Good luck.
Whatever you decide, please also give thought to how to store gasoline, safely.
A couple years ago, I got out my Northern Tools catalog, and ran some numbers. A galon of gasoline provides about 2,000 watts for one hour. So, please figure a few galons of gasoline.
I've got a 2200 watt Coleman, which works nicely for me. Weighs about 75 pounds, so I can lift it without needing hernia repair. A 5,000 watt Coleman is more like 125 pounds. Will you use it at one location, or are you going on the road to run appliances for your relatives, and friends?
In my case, I did use the generator on the road a couple times. Once for my parents refrigerator. Once for a friend's furnace, during the ice storm.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

from the house where gas will be stored. My house has been wired for emergency power by the builder. I have not checked the wiring and probably won't use that option. It's pretty old and could cause a fire. Thanks for the info. Chuck
For what it's worth to anyone considering a generator, my real-world experience has been on two 5500 watt generator units of different brand names with 10 hp Briggs and Stratton engines running fairly loaded, that you're gonna be looking at 5-7gallons of gas and/or a pint of oil per unit, every 8 hours or so. That's when they run out of fuel, or the low-oil switch shuts them down. This is why these engines have a low oil switch. This is from running the two units simultaneously for 24 hrs a day, 9 days straight back in '99 during the floods and power outages here in NC from Hurricane Floyd. Had to drive 35 miles for gas during part of the outages. Recoil covers self-destruct from vibration on these engines. Have a spare. Bolts shake out, or the covers crack, or the recoils won't catch on restart. Recoil balls stick to outside edge of catch-clutch, then it won't grab hold. I re-enforced the mounting holes on my covers by brazing washers over the mounting holes. Gas fittings into the tank will leak over time. It's just a grommet on some models. Mother-in law lives in my backyard, so I have to keep her going also. I've been thinking about a 10,000 watt unit for my 35 hp diesel tractor PTO. The diesel would store better and be a little safer, and a hell of a lot quieter. Anyone have any experience with these?
RJ

If you will need it for extended periods Dual or Tri fuel are avalaible from Northern Tool and soon Honda. www.propane-generators.com has alot to offer in conversions and units for sale. Safer, and no gas station to bother with.

Hernia repair is not bad these days,at least until you get the bills. 8-) Man,I could not believe all the different people who had a bill for my single operation! Then there were the HMO people and their paperwork;killer! A pox on them!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Chuck B. wrote:

Couple thoughts. First... good quality motor oil. Not the super discount store brand.
Second, did you try and figure how many watt horus you got off a galon of gasoline?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, it is a good idea to stock up on oil, however I was able to buy oil during the hurricane's after math.

If you are asking me Stormin
"It would run 24 hours less refuelling time on about 5 US gallons of gasoline."
That would work out to about 14.4 kWh/gallon in my situation.
There was a panic for fuel as it took time for gas stations to re-open after the storm. Not easy to store bulk gasoline at a typical residence.