Hurricane-proof House

"ameijers"> wrote

It helps, thats for sure. But its not a requirement, as I am getting ready to prove, to myself. Its a *lifestyle* adjustment, and for me it is long overdue.

Reply to
Don

"Notan" wrote

Well, you're wrong Larry and its only been lately that you've been acting like a dumbass. Perhaps I have been slack in my estimatation of you.

Reply to
Don

You mean *grammer checker*.

Reply to
Don

Tasing 6 year olds is what they do now.

Didn't you see the news? It was right there in FLA if I remember. Miami.

Totally true.

I would add that the blue wall of silence doesn't help matters. Otherwise good cops seem to unwaveringly stand by their bad colleagues even when they know it's wrong.

But that's not all. District Attorneys who have learned to trust and work with cops to jail criminals wind up being the ones who prosecute those very same cops when people are brutalized. Talk about a system open to corruption.

Thanks to Frank Serpico there is an internal affairs unit with most large forces now, and they are theoretically supposed to police the police. But if internal affairs were really enough, Amadou Diallo and Rodney King wouldn't have fallen victim.

Reply to
Adam Weiss

Why not? A composting toilet works like a compost pile. Basically it turns waste into nutrient-rich topsoil.

The topsoil is then used to help grow the plants in the vegetable garden.

If you're looking to build a house that can not only withstand a hurricane but can also allow you to live relatively comfortably while the power and water is still out, this sort of adaptive reuse of human waste makes alot of sense.

Reply to
Adam Weiss

yawn

touche'

Reply to
Don

I'm funny that way. I'll eat veggies grown in cow shit but not human shit. Its complex.....

Reply to
Don

Cows have that too, its called herd instinct. Today's typical mindset, impression that it qualifiies since the herd is doing it, doesn't involve much higher thinking. Moo.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

Some sewage treatment plants are making a compost as a by-product. Maybe it goes through a turd sorter first.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

He said turd sorter. LOL

Reply to
Don

I can't argue with that. I'll make sure I never own more than 1 cow at a time. ;-)

Reply to
Don

snip>

They work by evaporating water, which is volatile, and then condensing it on the cool surface. Depends on the other contents, like salt, not being volatile. For the nasty mix along the gulf coast, part of the problem is petroleum components, which are also volatile. So it might actually produce a product water with a higher concentration of some of the impurities. Depends on vapor pressure, condensation temperature, etc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Think shaped charge. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

bridger

It's a growth industry. Which other essential industry has an escalating supply of materials piped in for free? What could be more essential then boosting food production ?

Reply to
zenboom

While I've never heard of a concrete chainsaw, they *do* make portable concrete circular saws.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Think collateral damage. Rather than try to get in the heavily reinforced front door, just chainsaw a hole through the wall.

Reply to
Don

Depends on how much time you have, and where you start using it.

Reply to
Goedjn

OK, *now* I've heard of a concrete chainsaw!

Notan

Reply to
Notan

The excuse is that the presence of a camera encourages people play TO the camera, and thus makes them harder to control than otherwise.

The REASON is because cops are control freaks.

Reply to
Goedjn