Hurricane-proof House

Page 8 of 11

If you saw Robin's butt you'd know right away her gender. heh-heh
Don wrote:

Ahhhh, ain't I the dumbass? (now I'm trying to figure the connection between Robin and Mr Lee) Hmmmm.....
Don wrote:

jeezis. Think I'll just quietly back out of this one due to being unqualified. ;-) For now.

Oh My GAWD!!
And I grew up in Valley Lee!!!!
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

I think you wrote it above! :-)

I have seen worst, but
<In my best Larry King voice>
"It's way up there...."

So said the boy that lives in the cave. LOL

Best would be to build it in Britain, not America. (after all, "in Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen")
Second best would be to build it in America, in the way the British have always, and still do, build perfectly average houses. They're not great in earthquakes and in hurricanes the roof comes off (just look at Birmingham a month or two back) but the expensive structure stays intact and doesn't crush the inhabitants.
If you're worried about flooding, ask the Netherlanders, who have done this stuff quietly and competently for centuries.

And what percentage of the British population actually own homes?

Roughly 70%. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id1
Why?
Nehmo wrote:

NOLA must have been on the back-side, with storm surge initially going out.

I think you can safely leave "rec.woodworking" off the list; there won't be a lot of wood in this structure. First, you need to withstand a 30' storm surge and, to be safe, 40' waves. 200 mph wind. So, I would start with reinforced concrete on bedrock, bottom 70' not living space. Hurricane shutters a must, along with generator higher than potential flood level. Plenty of fuel, food and water. Security force to keep out the masses when THE storm is coming. Heli-pad/covered pool on roof. You will have to have some leisure and exercise, and a way to get out when the end of the world comes and you and a chopper pilot are the only two humans left :o) Might as well put the ark up there, too :o)
We have had about 8' storm surge from storms far out on gulf and no wind. Pretty spooky when the seawall and docks all disappear and it looks, suddenly, like a beach :o) 30' storm surge where I live would drown my upstairs neighbor.

Don't live there, don't build there. You're an idiot if you do.
"Lil' Dave"> wrote

Then there's 1/2 a million idiots living rather well here in the target zone of Lee County, Florida. You can look at history and become smarter for it, or you can go on USENET and blindly swing pointed sticks.
I'm sure there are.

I'm sure you're sure.

Cows have that too, its called herd instinct. Today's typical mindset, impression that it qualifiies since the herd is doing it, doesn't involve much higher thinking. Moo.

I can't argue with that. I'll make sure I never own more than 1 cow at a time. ;-)
Easy.... Find a Mountain in the Rockies build a deep shaft........ Building in New Orleans disregards your own concerns. You can't account for all the possibilities of a Hurricane it's to independent and random, best you can do is work from historical data. By it's own design if a storm impacted the area, you would become an oasis, and if offering no assistance most likely you will simply be destroyed using most readily a flammable liquid.
I see you account for your own failure? And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary. I'd say the best would be a hot air balloon..................