Hurricane-proof House

Page 6 of 11

Saw a show once about Antarctica. They came across a dead seal, looked like it died yesterday. Narrator mentioned that it had died 300 years ago. Wonder if the meat was still good?
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Chris wrote:

How did the narrator know that?
-Bob

Easy, he counted the rings. ;-)

Not sure, I suppose you could ask him. As I remember he was as scientist stationed down there. Good enough for me. My guess would be carbon dating.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
"zxcvbob"> wrote

carbon dating?
Or, maybe he tasted it?

It isn't that they aren't there - they do exist in certain crevices in rock faces and survive in tiny microclimates. Since they aren't too mobile, your dead seal on a beach can last a long time.
Mike

BETTER answer.... Just build it in Canada...we have plenty of flood planes for the moronic and a well established reputation for helping our neighbours as opposed to using high powered fire arms to solve all our problems.
Regards,
Doug

I suspect you have no idea of what you are talking about on the gun comment.("solve all our problems"....!)
(and it's flood PLAINS,not planes.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Nehmo wrote:

Some places to start:
1: The buildings at the top of Mount Washington are a good example to follow for wind resistance. They withstood a storm in which gusts topped 230mph, the highest winds ever recorded. Worth a look if you want a house that'll handle any winds Mother Nature might blow its way.
2: The dutch have designed well for slow rising water. They've built houses that float. Not house boats, mind you. These homes have floating concrete foundations that will rise and fall with rising water levels. (I knew that thesis I heard of where a stoner physics student designd and floated a concrete boat and got credit for it would have some use somewhere, but I digress).
An idea I had was a house with a two story garage and an amphibian car in it. Living area on the second floor. When slow rising water comes, the car/boat rises up, and I can go out of my house like I normally would, climb into my car/boat, and drive off.
3: Storm surge is already designed for in many parts of the Gulf Coast. Houses are up on stilts, as many of our Florida contingent here on alt.architecture can explain.
4: As for unwanted government and looter home invasion, the best defense is you. Your eyes and ears, a video camera, and a gun. If you design your home to physically withstand the worst storms, it logically follows that you should be able to stay there safely during the worst storms, and the best defense against looters is a physical presence and a gun; the best defense against government is a video camera.
A house that's a veritable fortress against intruders wouldn't be pleasant to live during the 99.9% of the time when there's not a hurricane pummelling it or looters attacking it. That's my view anyway.
5: Another thing to think about is plumbing. Namely, when the power goes out, the water will as well. I've seen and smelled a toilet that's been full and not flushed for 2 weeks straight; you -do not- want that in your house.
Some auxiliary toilet, an out house even, that doesn't rely on running water is certainly in-order for a hurricane proof house.
Adam Weiss wrote:

The English were using concrete boats in 1910 or so, and a Frenchman patented a wire reinforced concrete boat in 1847. It wasn't exactly a stoner physic student's brainstorm.
Charlie Self wrote:

I didn't know that.
But here it is, all online and easily accessed for those too lazy to do real research in a library:
http://www.concreteships.org/history /
Very interesting and thanks.
Adam Weiss wrote:

You're welcome. One of the benefits of reading Popular Mechanics as a kid 50 years ago.

If you have power, you can use an electric toilet.. www.incinolet.com
If not, you could use some form of camp toilet, with collection bags, and store them in a larger drum when full.
You'll want a holding tank and filtering system for showers, etc using recycled water. maybe some form of solar heating? You'll also want a storage system for potable water.
Use several smaller generators that can be synced together to form a larger one if needed. Propane/natural gas provides the best long term storage, but diesel is easier to resupply, and can be hauled in drums, or jerrycans. Make sure you have a stock of suitable containers to transfer fuel. Gasoline is not a good choice for long term storage.
A storage battery/inverter system could also be used to reduce generator run times, possibly with photovoltaics, although the survivability of photovoltaics in the storm is highly questionable.
Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
On 9-Sep-2005, snipped-for-privacy@tantivy.tantivy.net (Bob Vaughan) wrote:

Composting toilet. Pricier, but works just fine. Put one on the second floor to avoid the flood.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I like the way you think.
Put a composting toilet on the second floor.
And add a rooftop vegetable garden.
And a cistern to catch rain water.
Life could be sustained indefinitely.
Would one of those transparent plastic tent/ water purifiers that they say to use if you're adrift at sea work on nasty flood waters? Or is it just for getting the salt out of sea water? Anyoone know?
"Adam Weiss"> wrote

I hope you're not going to connect the two!
Don wrote:

turns waste into nutrient-rich topsoil.
The topsoil is then used to help grow the plants in the vegetable garden.
If you're looking to build a house that can not only withstand a hurricane but can also allow you to live relatively comfortably while the power and water is still out, this sort of adaptive reuse of human waste makes alot of sense.

As long as you understand the limitations.
Look into the NASA research on toilets related to manned flight to Mars.
--
Go read this. Now.
<http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

I'm funny that way. I'll eat veggies grown in cow shit but not human shit. Its complex.....