Hurricane-proof House

Page 5 of 11

Well, you're wrong Larry and its only been lately that you've been acting like a dumbass. Perhaps I have been slack in my estimatation of you.

In the case of the HA, their primary goal was to slow down, not necessarily stop the cops. The large concrete blocks in front of the concrete wall keep a backhoe at a significant distance too. All in all, the design looks like a typical US embassy or consulate.
Mike
Don wrote:

Think shaped charge. :-)
Matt
"Matt Whiting"> wrote

Think collateral damage. Rather than try to get in the heavily reinforced front door, just chainsaw a hole through the wall.
Don wrote:

I was talking about the dam. I'm not sure a chainsaw would be that effective... :-)
Matt

Depends on how much time you have, and where you start using it.
"Matt Whiting"> wrote

Just went looking for it and couldn't find it, but, a couple weeks ago my brother sent me a link for a chainsaw that cuts concrete. It might not do much regarding Hoover, but I'd still like to have one in my stable.
Don wrote:

While I've never heard of a concrete chainsaw, they *do* make portable concrete circular saws.
Notan

http://www.jimslimstools.com/Cat_ICS_Concrete_Chainsaw.aspx
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

OK, *now* I've heard of a concrete chainsaw!
Notan
Notan wrote:

It didn't look to be made of concrete to me.
Matt
Guess I should have threaded ahead.....

Yeah, my brother has one of those, we used it for score cutting my driveway, and I have blades for cutting concrete/masonry for my saws. You have to wear goggles and an aspirator, lots of smoke. http://www.jimslimstools.com/detail.aspx?ID 34 http://www.cessco.us/concrete_chainsaws.html
Michael Daly wrote:

Cameras, man, cameras.
Cops, whether local guys on the beat, DEA agents, Secret Service, swat teams, or anything, don't fear guns. They make sure they're always more heavily armed than and outnumber the people they've been told to take out.
And they don't worry too much about heavily fortified buildings. As your post states, if they find a door or wall that their battering rams can't take down, they'll use a backhoe; if that doesn't work, a bulldozer.
What law enforcement fears; what can really put a stop to what they're doing, is cameras. A single video of a cop doing something that doesn't look right, sent to the media, will be more damaging to a cop than a million guns, and a bigger impedement to their goals than a house built like Fort Knox.
I saw video today of a scuffle between cops and evacuees. One of the cops completely ignored his cohorts efforts to get a handle on the situation, and instead approached the camera-man - yelling "TURN OFF THE CAMERA! TURN OFF THE CAMERA NOW!"
"Adam Weiss"> wrote

As the cop was armed, and was approaching the cameraman with a threatening tone, he deserved to be shot right in the face. Wouldn't his wife and kids like that?
Why would a grown man (the cop) act that way?
Don wrote:

I'd warn against shooting a cop surrounded by other cops (with guns) in the face.
I'd say the camera guy should have kept rolling, braced himself, and seen if he could get the coming assault by an officer caught on film.

Easy.
He had something to fear.
Remember Rodney King? It wasn't a gun that brought the LAPD to its knees. It was a camera. Cameras are better than any other thing at capturing the truth. And when the truth is leaked about police activity, it's often rough for the cops involved.
Witness Amadou Diallo.
41 shots.

Precisely. When cops start fearing for their lives, then they may adjust their behavior. I;m not against the *concept* of cops, but I believe they have been largely perverted these days. Tazing 13 yo gurls and and handicapped old ladies, etc. You know what I mean. Most are OK but the bad ones drag all of them down. If they policed themselves a lot of this stuff would be history. But they don't, so they all suffer.
Don wrote:

Tasing 6 year olds is what they do now.
Didn't you see the news? It was right there in FLA if I remember. Miami.

Totally true.
I would add that the blue wall of silence doesn't help matters. Otherwise good cops seem to unwaveringly stand by their bad colleagues even when they know it's wrong.
But that's not all. District Attorneys who have learned to trust and work with cops to jail criminals wind up being the ones who prosecute those very same cops when people are brutalized. Talk about a system open to corruption.

Thanks to Frank Serpico there is an internal affairs unit with most large forces now, and they are theoretically supposed to police the police. But if internal affairs were really enough, Amadou Diallo and Rodney King wouldn't have fallen victim.

The excuse is that the presence of a camera encourages people play TO the camera, and thus makes them harder to control than otherwise.
The REASON is because cops are control freaks.
Nehmo wrote:

Easy answer. Just build it in Antarctica. It has not had a hurricane in millions of years.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit