Hurricane-proof House

Page 2 of 11

100% Hurricane Proof homes here.
www.winnebagoind.com
Just add a good weather-radio and make sure the tank is always full.
AMUN

I was going to suggest a trailer hitch.
Charlie

A ferro cement geodesic dome.

A $10,000,000 budget.
Upscale wrote:

This is already provided, Joe Taxpayer is footing the bill.
The wise man woulb build his house upon the rock., and make it outta concrete.
Nehmo wrote:

It should (like all others that need to be rebuilt) be placed in a different location that has stable soil, isn't below sea level and further inland so it isn't prone to the significant force of a hurricane coming ashore.

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe, one might also plan for the type of statement you want made in your afterlife. http://www.pulse24.com/Business/Top_Story/20050909-002/page.asp
Hey I got it ! Lets go to E bay find an old Russian nuke sub for sale . We could buy it burry it so that the con is above ground and we should be all set . Or maybe we could just dry dock it so we could float away with the surge. I think the best idea yet is to build some where that is above sea level.
Bill
Heavy stone, "igloo" shape, surrounded by heavy duty wall to take up wind, flying object, and wave impacts.

http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/eye/pictorial1.html
--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Nehmo wrote:

On the North Carolina shore - near the mouth of the Cape Fear, one fellow built shacks on stilts. They get some fearsome hurricanes in those parts. The stilts, he claimed, allowed the house to sway in the wind (rather than resist and get pushed over). And the stilts kept the house from flooding in the surge.
--
Saville

Some of the codes for building at the shores take some of this into consideration already. Most have to be raised about eight feet and no utilities below that.
I'd probably use ICF construction. www.polysteel.com or www.integraspec.com While the outside may have superficial damage, the walls would not collapse. Shutters for the windows.
Plenty of supplies on hand, but I'd also have some sort of water filtration/purification system. Generator, of course, but I'm now sure that the best fuel would be. You'd want at least a two week fuel supply and something easily replenished if longer term is needed.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Add Composting toilets, solar electric power and a large water storage tank (3000+) Dome type concrete construction with garage on bottom with water flow through capability (open doors to let storm surge through) oh wait, I saw one of these on Discovery channel already built in Florida. Built to withstand over 300 mph winds.
Gary
In the Keys it is assumed you can't evaculate, so they are built to withstand hurricanes. I don't know details, but they are all on piers with heavy storm shutters. Of course, they are above sealevel; not below it like NO. I suppose the piers would have to be 15' higher, which doesn't seem practical.
Nehmo (in nalUe.27864$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com) said:
| How should this house be built and what should it have?
Solid but light. Wheels.
[and anti-troll protection]
Nehmo wrote:

I'd build it using reinforced concrete with metal shutters to close over the windows, it's own 30 day water supply and enough fuel to power a backup generator for that same amount of time, and I'd build it on columns at least 20' tall above the ground, or whatever the storm surge level from a cat 5 storm is expected to be in that area.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

And, while building it off the ground, to get out of harm's way of the water, aren't you exposing it to more potential wind damage?
Notan
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:28:38 -0600

So let's do a FULL recap of this house. I am going to save this for future use and reference.
Let's fill in the blanks and develope this and have it stand the test of back-and-forth until we ALL agree on the resultant.
Let's also be realistic, but don't limit yourself. Let's be practical but without any sacrifice on anything for the sake of safety & security most importantly.
HURRICANE-HOUSE --------------------
FUTURE BUILDING SITE: N.O.
FOUNDATION SYSTEM: ?
FLOOR SYSTEM: ?
WALL SYSTEM: ?
ROOF SYSTEM: ?
DOORS & WINDOWS: ?
MOISTURE & THERMAL PROTECTION: ?
FORCE PROTECTION: ?
MECHANICAL SYSTEMS: ?
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS: ?
Build it on a big mound of packed dirt with pilings to hold it all in place. Make the rest of the structural parts except doors and windows of heavily reinforced concrete.
Stretch