Hurricane-proof House

How about a set of plane tickets set for parts far away?

Reply to
Cato

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.

Reply to
gruhn

I was going to suggest a trailer hitch.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

This sounds possible though, not out of the question.

-
Reply to
Saab Guy

So let's do a FULL recap of this house. I am going to save this for future use and reference.

Let's fill in the blanks and develope this and have it stand the test of back-and-forth until we ALL agree on the resultant.

Let's also be realistic, but don't limit yourself. Let's be practical but without any sacrifice on anything for the sake of safety & security most importantly.

HURRICANE-HOUSE

--------------------

FUTURE BUILDING SITE: N.O.

FOUNDATION SYSTEM: ?

FLOOR SYSTEM: ?

WALL SYSTEM: ?

ROOF SYSTEM: ?

DOORS & WINDOWS: ?

MOISTURE & THERMAL PROTECTION: ?

FORCE PROTECTION: ?

MECHANICAL SYSTEMS: ?

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS: ?

[...]

It should (like all others that need to be rebuilt) be placed in a different location that has stable soil, isn't below sea level and further inland so it isn't prone to the significant force of a hurricane coming ashore.

Reply to
George

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe, one might also plan for the type of statement you want made in your afterlife.

Upscale

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~ preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Reply to
Upscale

I knew someone who lived in an underground house on a river plain. It was underwater at least a month out of the year. The entrance, power, water, etc. all came in from up the hill. The waste was pumped out to a holding tank that was emptied regularly.

It was a comfortable house too. No idea how it was constructed. I was a little young at the time or I would have inquired.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Versus the mountains that are below sea-level????????????????????

Reply to
Chris

(in my best Python voice) " I would find it and fart in it!"

Reply to
Robatoy

Too dangerous... subs run into them...

Reply to
Robatoy

Plus no germs or bacteria. Food would stay longer for the survivalist.

Saw a show once about Antarctica. They came across a dead seal, looked like it died yesterday. Narrator mentioned that it had died 300 years ago. Wonder if the meat was still good?

Reply to
Chris

Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies. And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Reply to
Nehmo

Build it on a big mound of packed dirt with pilings to hold it all in place. Make the rest of the structural parts except doors and windows of heavily reinforced concrete.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Heavy stone, "igloo" shape, surrounded by heavy duty wall to take up wind, flying object, and wave impacts.

Reply to
Jim-Poncin

SwampBug

For a hurricane? Last thing I would want to be in.

What Army has submarines anyways.

Reply to
Chris

On the North Carolina shore - near the mouth of the Cape Fear, one fellow built shacks on stilts. They get some fearsome hurricanes in those parts. The stilts, he claimed, allowed the house to sway in the wind (rather than resist and get pushed over). And the stilts kept the house from flooding in the surge.

Reply to
gregg