Hungarian Shelving on a Concrete Wall?

I am new to any construction yet I am determined. What I want to do is install hungarian shelves

my basement. The basement is concrete and the house is over 160 yrs old but in excellent condition. My question is essentially how do I secure the shelves into the wall? What kind of material will I need? I have to ask though that you use simple terminology as I am not familiar at all with building lingo. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rory Deol

Broad based questions are worthless.

How much weight are the shelves going to hold? Look for fasteners that will accomidate the weight.

Drilling a concrete wall in a 160 year old basement would not be my first choice. Might be time to look for free standing book shelves

Reply to
SQLit

Unless the walls are perfectly flat and plumb, you may have problems with any mounting system. Putting them directly on the concrete meat drilling for anchors and it old concrete, that can be a major job.

Look for a better system of shelves or put some sort of framing on the wall and mount to that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Replace the individual brackets with continuous planks up the wall, and glue both those and the shelves on with a solid bead of glue. If you're storing paint cans or bricks, then cut out some 1/2" plywood, attach the shelves to THAT with screws from the back and glue form the front, and glue the entire assembly to the wall. Use a gap-filing construction adhesive. The downside to all this is that you'll probably need a flamethrower to get the thing down when you change your mind.

Reply to
Goedjn