Humidity Detecting Switch

Page 1 of 2

I've seen $250 humidity detecting fans (Broan?). I have a timer on my bath fans, and motion detectors on my hallway lights (installed when my dad was dying), so I can't believe they can't make a wall switch which detects humidity. ANyone see one? Couldn't find one with google. Besides the bathrooms, I'd wonder if I can't have one for the house when I'm away and don't want to have the heat or cool on just to prevent mildew. I hadn't used cooling in years and the upstairs duct perspired onto my ceiling.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/10/2010 8:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

I doubt you'll ever find one. To detect humidity, air must circulate over the sensor. I don't see how to do that in a jamb box. A quick search* turns up http://store.antx.com/browseproducts/Adjustable-humidity-switch.html
Jerry ___________________________ * http://www.google.com/search?q ­justable+humidity+switch
―――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Google 'humidistat'.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:15:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=humidistat&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=jdoQTLiqOYSKlweOy7ngBw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved DsQrQQwAA
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=humidistat
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Googling "wall mount humidistat" will return hits like the following:
Broan DH100W Honeywell H46C Honeywell H8908B Honeywell H600A Ranco J10-821
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:15:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

There are many humdiity detectors available today. None as a switch, as they require a good air flow (and a switch won't have any air-flow) but you can mount them in unobtrusive places (such as near the fan) if you wanted, and use the wall switch as a master on/off.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 10, 7:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Mold in a shower is normal and easily killed by laundry bleach, mild elsewhere is caused by water, either leaks or condensation in winter. A humidity fan wont fix what you think it will and will trigger on a rainy day bringing in more humidity.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:01:20 -0700 (PDT), ransley

    6 of one, 6 of the other, then, on that day.
    And the air intake will at lest be distributed instead of all in one area, so it will disperse its humidity faster.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
βœ–
Understood. Most of my mold problems are nowhere near the shower. (Pointing, siding shingles and duct perspiration might be implicated.) When my mom was alive, we never had mold in the house. After my dad also died, it blossomed. I stopped using heat and cool because I essentially "borrowed" it form my godparents upstairs. I had by heat at 57F and cool at 87F and it almost never turned on. I also kept the rooms locked up because I was rarely home.
In fact, I have learned over the past six months, when I sudeenly found myself spending more time working from home, to push the temperature duing rain so as to trigger more ventillation.
I live where the East and FLushing rivers empty into Long Island sound, and I am at 45ft elevation on a hill that peaks at 150, but zero elevation is on the other side of my block, probably swamp landfill. Last year, was especially humid, our local beaches were closed, dark green from storm drain overflow.
*+-Mold in a shower is normal and easily killed by laundry bleach, mild *+-elsewhere is caused by water, either leaks or condensation in winter. *+-A humidity fan wont fix what you think it will and will trigger on a *+-rainy day bringing in more humidity.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:10:21 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

    Try taking them outside and leaving them there.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
βœ–

Google on Humidistat.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

βœ–
*+-Google on Humidistat.
Thanks!
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Add pictures here
βœ–
In my opinion you are all wet, at temperature you have outline Humidistat would be useless unless you have Dehumidifier run at all times, and at 57 Deg. F not likely that you will get below 50% rh so all you doing is wasting your time but lots luck.
London SW

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

I have been using one for 3 months and I like it. I also had trouble finding it. Think DEW.
http://www.dewstop.com/dewstop_switches.html
greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
way cool!
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 10, 8:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Order this one:
http://www.ontimemall.com/nortec-1151-0142-modulating-duct-mount-humidistat.html It's on sale for $930 but you won't have to spend $250 on a new fan.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 10, 7:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Do you ever just run your furnace fan for air circulation, without heating or cooling. ALso, do you do a lot of cooking to raise the humidity that high?
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Try the Granger Company. Dump the home repair NG when posting here if you want a civil reply.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

I bought 2 army surplus one years ago, high quality stuff! I used it to totally rebuild a donut proofing box because none of the original parts were available. (the donut proofing box circulates warm humid air around the raw donuts so they rise without drying out). A fan, a stainless steel container like in a salad bar with a generic water heating element installed in it, the humidistat, and a larger container of water to siphon water in the small "boiler". Sorry I can't recall where I bought them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

To *measure* humidity, the easiest I've found are the HIH-4000 series from Honeywell. Vout is very nearly linear against percent relative humidity (a second-order fit improves it a little at the cost of some computations). Feed it 5 VDC, read with an ADC, simple.
For a setpoint, though, the GE HS12 or HS15 are cheaper. They must be driven by AC (no DC bias allowed) and the impedance range is over 4 decades, so it is not just a simple ADC hookup. But just to get a trip point reading would be fairly straightforward.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Add pictures here
βœ–