Humidifier Location Question

1. snipped-for-privacy@excite.com Dec 23, 9:10 am show options
Newsgroups: alt.hvac From: snipped-for-privacy@excite.com - Find messages by this author Date: 23 Dec 2005 06:10:26 -0800 Local: Fri, Dec 23 2005 9:10 am Subject: Humidifier Location Question Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse
My house has a downstairs gas furnace and A/C combination unit and an upstairs heat pump. There is no basement so space is minimal for the downstairs unit, but the upstairs unit is located in an unfinished storage room with good access. The floor space is roughly 1600 S/F downstairs and 1000 S/F upstairs.
I want to have a whole house humidifier installed, but before I call a contracor I want to get some perspective on how one unit can handle the
whole house. The installation by the contractor and service (cleaning,
etc) by me will be much easier on the upstairs unit so I favor this location for the humidifier.
Will the moisture from the upstairs unit migrate downstairs adequately to make the downstairs living area bedroom correctly humidified?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Nothing scientific, but my own experience. I have two cheap hygrometers that give reading very close with just one humidifier working on one floor. I don' t know that it is optimal, but seems to work for us. Hygrometers aside, the comfort level seems about the same also.
You should be ok no matter where you locate the humidifier, as long as it's large enough. Humidity travels through air a lot faster than heat does.
- Find messages by this author

I would think it would work fine upstairs too. They are pretty easy to install, and if you are good at following directions, cutting holes in sheet metal, and have basic mechanical skills, you should be able to put one in yourself. I highly recommend the Aprilaire 760, which I have.

I would highly recommend one that works:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId8480-41097-MA1406&lpage=none