Humidifier belt low output?

My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about

5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203.

With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish soap so that the water would better wick into the media.

Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had more surface area? Or is is possible the new media is made of different fiber and does not work as well?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is it going full-bore, or controlled by a humidistat? Maybe it's not as dry in the space?

Reply to
bob_villain

Seems very possible.

Seems possible too.

But I don't see how either can explain it going from 2 gallons a day to not working or barely working at all. The media is made to function. As described, it would be worthless. Not sure about the effect of adding a detergent and what it will do.

Reply to
trader_4

On 02/19/2016 09:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: My Kenmore floor model humidifer, belt driven, holds about 5 gal of water, controls on top. Model: 758-743203. With the old media pad, I used about two gal of water each day. Now, the water level is holding, and does not appear to be going down. I put in a squirt of dish soap so that the water would better wick into the media. Is it possible the old media (full of sediment) had more surface area? Or is is possible the new media is made of different fiber and does not work as well? Did you plug it back in?

Reply to
Fred

Did the old one have more surface area? Perhaps.

Does more surface area mean more wicking capability? I think not.

I know that this isn't your exact model, but Page 9 of the instructions found at the link below state:

"As the filter loads with impurities it gradually loses its wicking capability."

Yes, it's possible, but since we can't see the old vs. the new from where we're sitting, all we can say is "Yes, it's possible."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think the more important question is this:

What is the humidity level in the area? Maybe the water usage is down because there is less humidity being called for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Already stated (if you don't have a troll like me blocked). (?_? ??)

Reply to
bob_villain

Yes; and confirmed the fan blows, and the media rotates properly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another day pass, and the water level hardly moved. I'm not sure what all to do about it. Certainly, it is heating weather with cold nights. Seems like the machine should be using water. As with so much in life, can't go back. I poured some vinegar on the old media, and appears to have made no change. So, the old media belt isn't going to be useful for any thing any more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, loses wicking capability. Well, that's encouraging. Might be just a different climate for the last few days, thoug I some what doubt that.

Not much I cn do about it, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not all sure about that. We are still in heating season, so it ought to use some water, during the days and nights.

Meantime, can't do much about it. Can't go back to the old media belt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Excess atmospheric humidity was causing climate change. Starting Jan 2014, manufacturers had to reduce the evaporation rate from humidifiers.

Maybe you got some of the new EPA mandated water-saver media?

Reply to
Hue Miduhtee

You know, I'd probably been using a 2.0 galon per day media, and now all they sell are 1.6 galon per day media. I'm sure you are right, this closes the thread.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon