Humidifier and vapor question

Page 2 of 4
On 1/23/2014 8:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some how, people inspected homes before IR cameras came out. I remain skeptical about your judgement.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

"profession"
When you charge to do a job, you do the job to the standard of the time - making use of the technology available to do the job right. A home ispector can get a thermal imaging camera for less than $600 - or a better one for the $1000 range. Not having one puts you in the bottom of the stack of a somewhat shady business - to the most part unregulated and untrained charlatons.
If I'm hiring a home inspector, he WILL have the equipment to do the job. And he WILL have building construction experience and/or construction technology education.
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:12:21 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The one we use at work cost $3500.
At times of the year when the inside and outside temperature vary greatly, like the dead of winter or dog day summer, they are very useful. But you have to inspect all year round.
If you need to know infiltration, you have to do a blower test anyway.
On Friday, January 24, 2014 9:20:54 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

have to inspect all year round.

Just had another thought.
We also have a small handheld smoke generator. I don't know exactly how it works, but it has a battery, a little glycol reservoir, and a squeeze bulb . It produces a small puff of smoke that is very effective at showing air c urrents. With a little knowledge of where your air leaks probably are, and a smoke source, you can start plugging your worst leaks first. They're li kely around weatherstripping on doors and windows, etc.
It's not easy to find a cheap smoke generator. They start at about $600.
But here's one from an educational source similar to what we use:
http://www.sciencebobstore.com/products/Wizard-Stick-Smoke-Generator.html

leakage/drafts a cigarette will do.
On 1/24/2014 9:23 AM, TimR wrote:

Glad someone here's not just full of hot air. And not just blowing smoke.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/24/2014 6:23 AM, TimR wrote:

On a calm day, turn on the exhaust vents for the stove and bathroom. My stove vent can pull a 5 Pa vacuum at the other end of the house. That's only 10% of a blower test, but can be useful.

Incense sticks work fine.
On 1/24/2014 8:23 AM, TimR wrote:

type used for concerts, etc from a party supply outfit? You could fill the whole house, trailer or business with smoke and look for leaks. Johnstone Supply and most HVAC supply houses sell smoke bombs for air leak tests. When using any smoke generator, it's a very good idea to notify the fire department or even invite a fire marshal to drop by in order to prevent an unnecessary reaction to a panicked call to 911. ^_^
TDD

So true. Nothing like having a two alarm response to your smoke test.
A couple years ago, when there was a fire near me, I heard from my Dad, who saw it on TV. I drove to look. Find the FD had holes in the roof, and four aerial ladder streams going in. No smoke or steam coming out, the fire musta been out by the time I got there. Most FD do a good job, but this batch on this day didn't impress me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYq1DKjw90

This one must have been earlier than when I arrived, still some smoke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjfGztjGL_E

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/23/2014 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There are only a few master home inspectors in the whole state of Alabamastan and I talk to one of them all the time on a call in radio talk show. ^_^
TDD

Looking at ir is going to depend on location and time of year. Best to have high differential temps. I can do most of that with a cheap HF gun.
Greg

behind drywall? Or damp insulation below a leaking window?
I have one of the non-contact thermometers with the 3 colour led to tell if the targetted area is warmer or cooler than the reference. It is handy - but not nearly sensitive enough.
A good thermal imaging camera will even show you poor wiring connections or overloaded wires inside a wall
On 1/23/2014 9:21 AM, jamesgang wrote:

You can rent an infrared video cameras. ^_^
TDD
On 1/22/2014 9:01 PM, mike wrote:

That's a spooky thought. Might keep me up at nights. What is that stuff hanging off the walls, coming to get me?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:11:55 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You are putting two gallons a day in the air. You measure the amount of wa ter in the air as relative humidity, not gallons. If you know the total ai r volume of you trailer and it's relative humidty before you added the two gallons you could compute the new relative humidty. But it would be easier to just measure it.
On 1/23/2014 10:19 AM, jamesgang wrote:

So, how does your comment begin to answer what I asked?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No, that's not what it means. Gas volume is very temperature dependent. This is a complete red herring. Gas volume isn's additive. If you add 10 gal. of N2,STP and 10 gal. of o2 you don't get 20 gal. of gas, STP.
Some condenses on the inside of windows,

All olf the vapor dissolves into the room air.From there it travels throughout your trailer finding places to hide. Your furniture probably absorbs a lot of the water. The air in your home does replenish from outdoors, so water goes there, as well.

If you make your house gas tight you will eventually asphysiate due to lack of Oxygen.
Dave M.
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:22:49 AM UTC-5, David L. Martel wrote:

Possible, but I doubt it.
The furniture will come to an equilibrium with the air. Since the air is continually dry despite his humidification efforts, water will likely move from the furniture into the air.
The water he puts into the air is being driven outside almost immediately. There are too many air changes happening. Find and plug the leaks.