humidifier and uv lamp question

Live in a 1920's era house, hot water radiator heat, central air cooling. We run the air handler on low on occasion in the winter to circulate heat and filter the air. The trunk line and most of the ductwork runs through a small attic area.
I have asked two different HVAC contractors on the phone and also posted to alt.hvac about the benefits/practicality of installing a humidifier and UV lamp in the ductwork.
The first guy said No to the humidifier and Yes to the UV. The second guy said Yes to the humidifier and No to the UV. Most of the alt.hvac responses were along the line of "go to alt.home.repair", "who cares", "go screw yourself", "homeowners are the scum of the earth", etc.
Any advice regarding humidifier/uv question would be greatly appreciated?

Do a search on Google or choose one of the responses above........
I have a humidifier in mounted in my ac only system. It's got a little injector that sprays water. It seems too work fine but I've only been in the house for a couple of years so I don't know if there were problems before me.
I don't have a UV light but I do have a question about them. I read that UV c rays can cause damage to things like plastics and wiring. Directly above my air handler is a section of duct with what looks like rubberized canvas attached to either end. Is it OK to mount a UV light within view of the canvas?
The light looks like something I can tackle myself but I wanted to make sure it was save to mount in this location.
thanks
wrote

wrote

Thanks Steve,
I did some checking. The flex material is not rated for uv exposure. I seems like this could be a potential problem for a lot of people. The installation guide recommends mounting the lamp directly above the coil. This also appears to be one of the areas where this flex adaptor is most likely to be found.
I'll either have to mount it further up the supply or mount it in the return as you suggested. Though the return box has some type of black fiberglassy insulation in it. I didn't have much luck researching the insulation. I suppose I should treat it as if it's not rated unless you know different.
wrote

wrote

Where exactly on your system is the humidifier mounted? And in what part of your home is it located? I had one guy caution me about locating in an area where it could freeze. What do you think of the injector type humidifier? I thought most of them were drums.
John
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (mike) wrote in message wrote

wrote

John
It's mounted a foot or so above the air handler. The air handler is in an upstairs closet and the duct runs up and across the attic. It gets relatively cold in the closet but I don't think it's anywhere freezing even on the coldest nights.
As far as the humidifier goes, I think it's fine but then again I don't have anything else to compair it to.
Hope that helps, Mike