Humidifier

I'm moving into a new (to me) home in a few weeks. The humidifier on the FHA heater is disconnected (unplugged and water tubing disconnected). Ideas whether I'm better off fixing it or removing and patching the hole in the ductwork.
It's at the bottom of the steps, so if it won't help me, I'd like to avoid the "head knocker".
Thanks Brad
I've looked a lot of furnace mounted humidifiers and have settled on an Aprilaire Model 700 powered unit. I'm installing one now. My only concern is whether it will supply enough water vapor, but I haven't found a larger unit. I went through last winter without a humidifier and won't do that again.
Boden
Brad Bruce wrote:

My experience with furnace mounted humidifiers is limited, but most that I've seen don't work. I'd remove it and buy a room type. OTOH, there may be a brand out there that will hold up over time and the HVAC guys will recommend one.
Aprilaire. The one with the flow through design, and a drain. Plumb it to a hot water pipe. And a drain. Yep, I'm a HVAC guy.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

As an alternative, caulk the house.
Nick

In your dreams, Stormy. The only way you learn HVAC is by listening to the real techs.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, I have a spray type which comes on with furnace fan. Has been working over 10 years. I have two nozzles. When one clogs up, I replace it with clean one. Soak the clogged one in CLR and it's ready on stand-by. Tony

the
may
Do you air conditioning on that furnace? Have you ever looked at the rust inside your plenum?
I'd see if you can get a HVAC guy out to install an Aprilaire. My boss and I have installed a bunch of htem.
Though, as Mr. P suggested, a floor model portable is cheaper. The floor model, you have to fill with a jug or bucket every day. And clean it out in the spring.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
Brad Bruce wrote:

Since the home had one, I am going to guess that it is going to be dry without one.
Many of them don't last long. They are just not designed to keep going. People get fed up with them not working so they just disconnect them and live with the dry air.
An exception to poor design is the Aprilair line. They cost more than most, but they also work well and last a lot longer. I am sure there are other good models and brands, but most everyone agrees with that Aprilair is the best of the lot.
BTW that is what I bought. It has helped keep the piano in tune and reduce my discomfort and all those static shocks.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Aprilair powered unit here too. Been running strong for about 6 years now, no problems and if you're installing one, that's what I highly recommend!
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

I'm going to 1. See if the D... thing works. then 2. If not. Try to live without it then 3. If I can't do without it Aprilaire here I come.
Brad