Hum Sound in House

Page 1 of 2
I'm getting a low volume hum in my house. It comes and goes. It's not loud, but it is annoying. When it is humming, I can hear it all over the house. I can also hear it in my attached unheated garage. My wife can hear it also. I have been unable to pin point the source. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas what it can be? Al
Hard to pin down.... I've had 2 hums in the house. One was an electric base board heater- not very loud, the other (much louder- the whole house vibrated) was a bad valve on the toilet filler- made ALL the pipes in the house hum around 60 to 100 hertz. It went into sort of a "self oscillation" like a tuba.
Other things to think of- sump/well pumps, air flow over chimneys (like a big pipe organ), neighbor disposing of bodies in a wood chipper........

Albert Roth wrote:

I lived in a house, about a mile from a factory, where I could hear noise transmitted through the ground (I guess), but only when I was lying in bed. 'Spose I could have heard it with my ear to the floor but never tried that. Don't know what device in the house could be heard all over the house - is it audible at all hours, or possibly just certain days or hours? Got any factories nearby? Audible outdoors? Is the fridge shoved up against the wall or a pipe so it transmits sound to structure?
Check the exhaust fan in the attic.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:14:26 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Door bell transformer with loose laminations???
Remove TIE to reply.
Albert Roth wrote:

My furnace is in the attic and sometimes I consider its noise a low-level hum.
Refrigerator, freezer?

If the hum has an audio frequency similar to a cheap vibration type aquarium air pump or to a mains powered vibration massager then your hum has something (equipment, waterpipes) to do with the 60 hertz mains power supply.
I have the same thing, I've lived here for 10 years now and we have it mainly upstairs but if the house is quiet, I can hear it, it sounds like a transformer for something though I can't think of what unless the smoke detectors in this house have one, that's all I can think of.In my case anyway.

I have the same thing, I've lived here for 10 years now and we have it mainly upstairs but if the house is quiet, I can hear it, it sounds like a transformer for something though I can't think of what unless the smoke detectors in this house have one, that's all I can think of.In my case anyway.

Turn off the main breaker to see if it is electrical and stops. If it stops locate it by shutting down one circut at a time . Or look up Taos Hum, and go into the Twilite Zone
Had the same problem. Took six months to solve. Sounded like a 60 cycle hum, blamed something electrical. Finally gave up blaming electrical stuff after a blackout and I still had a hum that came and went with the power off. Found it to be a bad gas meter. It hummed when gas equipment was running and transmitted the sound through the gas pipes. Gas company changed the meter.

Very good point. If you shut everything down at the service entrance when you heat it, and it continues, you would rule out all the electrical things. Then I guess you could try shutting off the water.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

hum,
after
and
meter.
We had a similar problem with a intermittant squeaking you could hear throughout the house. It was also a bad gas meter.
When I moved into my house my water meter made a intermittent squeaking noise when there was a draw. The meter was changed and the problem fixed.
Mike :)

Eric, After reading your response, I phoned the gas company. They sent a person out to the house who checked the gas meter (it was OK), and at my request, checked my fairly new furnace. Said the furnace was working fine and not causing the hum. Was told the hum sounded electrical. Haven't been able to pin point it yet. Al

So have you turned off each breaker at a time or not?
I have a hum in the hallway. It is a 60 cycle hum from an 120V transformer for the smoke detector. I haven't had time to replace it with a battery operated one. It has to be very quite before I notice it.
Albert Roth wrote:

There are many possible sources. My problem is usually the clock on the stove.
Anything using AC power, connected to some distribution (heating, water or sewer) system is a good suspect.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Check your toilet tank. Next time you hear the hum pull up on the ball float to shut of the water valve. IF noise goes away, case closed. Otherwise I'd kill the power to the house to see if it's electrical in nature.
Seriuosly, my house used to have a hum that came and went and I could not localize it. It was a leaky flapper valve in the toilet causing the float valve to open just a smidgen and setting up standing waves in the pipes.