Huge wasp nest - help!

Page 2 of 3

Yep! They're nasty bastards that will seek you out. Wasps are more like the French of stinging insects.

Call the local fire department and tell them they are a "THREAT" to the children, and some of them are allergic to insect bites. Be sure to use the word threat, as if it flew into your head.
They may have a free couple of hours, and you've already paid them with your taxes. A nice pie or some cookies or cupcakes for them when the job's done would be nice, too. In some jurisdictions, this is allowed.
They have all the protective gear, and probably have some spray.
Shouldn't cost you anything.
If they don't do that, read up on it. Most common approach is to do any attack after dark, preferably very very early before first light, as that is when they are sluggish. They also do not see very well in the dark.
One thing important is the removal of the nest. If you put a scraper on the end of a long pole, and can only just knock the nest off, that will go a long way to getting them to move. Then retreat, and the next day, go out and move the fallen nest way away.
Burning is suggested by some. I lived in Louisiana, and would get them under my eaves. I would ball up some rags, and put alcohol on them, and set it afire and lift it quickly under the nest. Trouble is, you don't kill them all, and the ones left are ticked off. There as a last move, I tried to knock the nest off. The biggest nest I tackled was only as big as an apple, as I would get them when they were small. The burning still left smudges, and the old wood frame 30's house was not a good candidate for fire.
I have heard soapy water is good.
Try the FD first, then read up. Just bundle up, as those little suckers hurt, take a while to heal, and some people have bad allergic reactions to them. After that, get or make some wasp traps. You can make them free from Mason jars.
Let us know how it shakes out.
Steve

wasp trap -- first time I've heard of it.
How do you make one? Water? Sugar water? Oil the walls of the jar so they can't climb out?
Thanks!
David

You can go to the hardware store and see how they're made.
All you need is a Mason jar, quart size. Drill a small hole dead center to insert a wire, then tie a knot in the wire inside the lid. Start with a wire long enough to suspend the trap. Go to McDonald's. They have about the biggest straws around. Cut four 1.5" pieces, and drill four holes in the top of the lid that these short pieces will fit through, but just barely. You can use some hot glue, or some caulk to seal them in. Poke them about half way through. You have a $9 wasp trap. Bait it with apple juice. We stayed at our summer cabin for two months during summer one time, and I tried all kind of soda pops, and juices, and apple juice worked the best. Put in enough so it is about 1.5" deep. They go in through the straws, fly around, not finding out how to get back out the small straw opening, tire, and fall in the juice and drown. Hang it in the shade, or make a little hat for it so it doesn't get so hot that when they land on it, they take off before entering the hole. On the underside of eaves is good, or around entrances where you want to keep clear of wasps. They work pretty good.
Steve
Dennis M wrote the following:

Wait until dark, get a wide paint scraper, put on a jacket and gloves, then open the top of that window and scrape the nest off and let it fall to the ground. Leave it there and stay away from it until the next night, then roll it into a garbage bag and crush it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Put a rag with some gasoline on it in a tin can and crush it semi-closed. Put that in the plastic bag. Toss in the nest, and seal. Use a clear bag so you can see what's going on.
Steve
Some years ago we had a wasp nest under the eaves of the second story of our house. I got a can of wasp spray that shot a 20' stream (can't remember what brand, but other folks on this thread have mentioned it). The wasps were dead or severely injured and abandoned the nest. Later in the Fall I knocked down the nest with a long pole. No HazMat suit required, no big deal.
Been there, done that. Dick in MN
Dickr wrote the following:

You don't need a 20' sprayer or a ladder.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

There's no way I'm opening up that window, it's my bedroom window and I'm one of those people who likes their bedroom completely dark 24 hours a day. The bedroom windows are pretty much sealed off with a piece of fiberboard that's white on the side you see.
Lately the neighbor's kid has been volunteering to mow my lawn for a very reasonable price, next time he mows I may just stand guard over him with a can of jet spray and declare war on them if they start attacking. I think the nest was there (although I had forgotten about it) when he mowed a couple of weeks ago and they didn't bother him then. So I see no reason to "stir up a hornet's nest" as the saying goes until it's so cold they move out and I can remove the nest without worry. Like I said, they've taken up residence on the side of the house that I don't normally go around unless I'm mowing. I guess the main reason I'm apprehensive about this nest is because I've been ambushed a couple of times by yellow jackets that nest in the ground (and which are "evil incarnate" as one of the websites I was checking out put it) while mowing.
Many thanks to everyone who offered their advice, that unexco.com URL from RogerT was also very helpful.
On Jul 11, 11:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

the type that lives in the ground are nasty. a few years ago I sat on their nest:( I was planning in replacing a dryer vent hood.
it was a very bad day:(
to elminate the grond type use a LONG POLE to mark the nest entrance during the day.
at night with no lights put gasoline in a bucket, follow pole to entrance hole and dump in gasoline.
no need to light it, they are dead.
straglers will hang out in area for a few days so its best to avoid the area.......... but the hive is dead

I got about 30 stings, its was a real bad dau i took the next day off work cause I felt so bad.....
On Jul 11, 11:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

That is the STUPIDEST way to go about it, and a great way to end up in the hospital.
You aren't going to be picking them off one by one like some fantasy anti-aircraft gunner. You are DEAD MEAT if you try to fight them off. RUN.
The best way to take out a large nest is with a simple garden hose and HOT water. Adjust the nozzle for the strongest jet of water, and hose them down. Hit them hard and hit them fast, and soak the nest until it falls off the wall. The hot water scalds them and they drown.
In article

Water would be just as STUPID, you silver-tongued devil. I don't have access to HOT water in a garden hose on the outside and I doubt if many people do.
On Jul 13, 4:19pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

Aren't most hoses rather long? Don't most inside faucets have threads that accept a garden variety garden hose adaptor? I _know_ that almost every house has a door or window.
I'm not weighing in on using hot, or HOT, water - I wouldn't (oops, I weighed), just that your nit-picking needs some other nits to pick on.

Yeah, and how long will it take before the hose is actally squirting out *hot* water?
Even then, I'm not sure the water will be hot enough to really scald (versus annoy) the wasps.
Domestic water heaters are typically set somewhere in the range 120-140 degrees F. I'm guessing here but I reckon a wasp can withstand that temperature for at least a few seconds.

Not in modern houses, IMO. Sure, it was different 40 years ago.
On 7/13/2011 4:06 PM, Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Well every washer hose is the same as a garden hose. Washers are fairly modern.
--
Steve Barker

Duh, you're right.
I still have serious doubts that the water will be hot enough to kill the wasps.
Malcolm Hoar wrote the following:

You can get an adapter for a sink faucet that will take a garden hose connector. I have one. I hooked it to the kitchen sink faucet and screwed on the garden house to wash the Golden Retriever outside (warm water). The dog has since died, but not because of the adapter. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:47:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

No matter what some local opinions are, those are not wasps they are hornets and I agree you should be using an excess of caution with them. There may be a couple thousand hornets in a nest that big and they are going to be pissed.
Wasps are fairy tame and you can usually just knock a wasp nest down with a stick and get away with it. Not so much with hornets.
Do it at night, minimal to zero artificial light and soak it with long distance spray can.

Most utility sinks have a faucet that will accept a hose connection as well, though a number of houses lack that type of sink. Also, I've seen dishwashers with hose type connections too.
As to the temperature of the water being sufficient, that depends a lot on how hot your water heater is set. Some dishwashers demand that the water heater that feeds them be set at a pretty high temperature. Many others have their own built in hot water heater to get the water temperature up to where it needs to be to thoroughly clean the dishes.
--
Please note this e-mail address is a pit of spam due to e-mail address
harvesters on Usenet. Response time to e-mail sent here is slow.