Huge lump in kitchen flooring

A few months ago we had new linoleum installed in our kitchen, The installed hired a new man that day, and was complaining the whole morning that the guy was an idiot. and that he was going to fire the guy, etc. A little before noon the installer had just laid the first half of the floor, and said he was going out for lunch a little early because his "idiot assistant" had already gone to lunch without even asking permission to leave. He seemed quite angry, and told us to stay off the flooring.

About an hour later he returned and asked if we had seen his assistant. We told him no, and after muttering a few cus words under his breath, and continued with the floor by himself. He finished the floor just before 6pm, without any help, handed us the bill and said he needed to get home for dinner, or his wife would be upset with him.

We checked the floor and were quite impressed with his work, except for a rather large lump in the floor, right where we put the kitchen table. At first we thought it would just go away after the glue dried, but after a few weeks it was still there. We called the installer and he said he was real busy but would come in a week or two and check on it. We got used to it, since it was out of the way under the table, and just sort of forgot about it during the Thanksgiving holidays, even though my mother in law managed to trip over it after Thanksgiving dinner. We have been calling him several times a week ever since then, but all we have gotten is his answering machine. Although he did good work, we are a bit angered that he has not yet come to take care of this lump.

With Christmas coming this week, and the whole family coming, we would like to do something ourselves to at least reduce the size of that lump, so my mother in law dont trip on it again. Unless the installer comes before the end of the week, I see no other option but to do something myself. The lump is about six feet long and two feet wide. It sticks up about 14 inches and is sort of shaped like a person. I tried to jump on it, and found it to be soft but still rather firm. The floor used to be flat under there, so I can not understand what could be causing that large lump right under our dinner table.

My wife has also been complaining about an odor in the kitchen, and said she began to notice it shortly after the flooring was installed. I have noticed it myself, but I just figured it was the glue he used to install the flooring.

I am not sure what to do about this lump. Does anyone have any suggestions what could cause a lump like this, and how to get rid of it?

Reply to
wiseguy

------------ I hope you have an extra piece of flooring to insert. It sure sounds like the obvious, some sort of debris caught under the flooring.

Call an new floorer if you can't get the original guy to come back. It might a case for small claims court also. Document everything.

Reply to
Abe

You'll need to raise the rest of the floor to match the lump.This will require a team of workers. You'll get your best results if all the workers are pretty much the same size.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

----------- Oh, BTW, is fluffy the cat missing?

Reply to
Abe

Did you pay by credit card if so dipute the charges.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

While you have the family there, consider having a buffet dinner, with the buffet line formed on the lump, and running parallel to the table. This way after everyone's passed through the buffet line, the lump should pretty well be flattened. This might work best however, if you first remove the missing idiot assistant's body first....

Nice try TROLL!

assistant. . . .

installer

. .