HRV or Not HRV?

Moving into a new house. This house has 2X6 framing on 16 inch centre. It as good windows. We have had bad experience in the past with cheap windows and had to install an HRV which only helped, it did not completely solved the problem. Do all new construction (airtight) need HRV in order not to have condensation? Can we simply use the bathroom fans or even better, the furnace fan left on?
We installed an HRV last winter for that same reason, windows so wet that on very cold days, ice would form. We had to chisel the ice off the bottom of the patio door in order to open it on extreme cold day. (Canada) The HRV works fine and has helped. BUT!!! the humidity is at 36% now and it is only -7 Celcius outside which isn't very cold and the windows have condensation at the bottom again. I think our windows where either or both : very cheap and poorly installed.

No.
Yes.
Nick
Only a blower door test can tell if air exchanges are enough for saftey. Windows have ratings for condensation CDF, Even my new Pellas are no comparison to my Andersons. Get your rating and compare it may be just a window issue. 36 at -7c you should not have condensation. Maybe your humidistat is inacurate, analog usualy are untill you calibrate them.

Perhaps you mean "too much for high fuel bills and easy humidification" -)
Nick
Humidistat is good, it's digital. I really think these windows were poorly installed. Went to new house yesterday, construction still ongoing, and there was minimal condensation in windows, even with painting going on and all new "wet" material. I don't think (very hopeful) that we'll need an HRV... crossing my fingers and toes