HP LaserJet 2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible to fix?

Page 1 of 2
My friend is willing to give me his B&W laser printer: HP LaserJet 2100TN
It still works but he says it does not print as dark as it used to. Here is what he says.
Do you think, based on this, that the fuser is bad?
Here is what my friend wrote me just now:
Hi Misha, Do you want my HP LaserJet 2100TN? It works ok but prints light.
I’m guessing the fuser would need to be replaced if you want it to print dark although a new toner cartridge might also work. The printer says it has printed 37k pages and the fuser has a life expectancy of 150k pages so there is definitely life left in it. I was considering replacing the fuser myself – you can buy fusers for about $30 and they are very easy to replace on this model. But it just doesn’t make sense for me to invest in this printer any longer
It has had the occasional paper jam but otherwise it has been great. It has two trays that hold about 500 pages each, 24MB of memory, and a Ethernet port. I still have some toner cartridges left but I don’t know how much toner is in them.

Fusers almost never cause light printing and on the very rare occasions that they do they cause ghosting down the page. Far more likely that it needs a new cartridge, bear in mind that cartridges that have been in storage for a very long time can print light. If the light printing is not across the entire page, cleaning the scanner glass may improve matters. Failing that you may have a failing transfer roller (or it may not be making good contact in its housing) but this is not common. A new cartridge nearly always fixes light printing. Tony
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 17:16:50 -0500, Tony wrote:

I'll try that first! Thanks.

I also suggest to try this first.

Misha-
I think you can probably get the printer to work, and it should be a workhorse.
It is my understanding that the fuser heats the printed page as it passes through the printer, melting the toner into the surface of the paper. If the ink does not rub off after it leaves the printer, the fuser may be working correctly.
If printout is light, it could be caused by lack of toner, or the photosensitive "drum" could be worn out. Some laser printers have the drum in the cartridge, so a new cartridge would have a new drum. I do not know about that model, but it would only cost you the price of a new HP cartridge to find out.
I found a service manual at <http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf . Its troubleshooting section may be helpful.
Fred
On 09/07/2013 03:28 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Thanks Fred, I have an LJ2100 and appreciate having that manual now.
Jon
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:28:47 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Nice find! Wow. Very gracious of you. I love it! Thanks.
For starters, page 45 showed me how to print the test page from the "Go" button, and, guess what?
The results sure look dark enough to me!
http://i40.tinypic.com/eb3mnq.gif
So, now all I need to do is figure out how to network it, by reading chapter 3 "Networking", page 54. I'll open a separate thread on networking, if I have problems, after reading the document.
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:28:47 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Hi Fred, Do you have a similar service manual for an HP LaserJet 3200m?

Eddie-
I googled and found a user's manual at <http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf . I think you can get that at HP's website as well.
I found a service manual at <http://www.marketpoint.com/Service_Manuals/3200%20AIO%20HP%20LJ%20Servic e%20Manual.pdf>.
Fred
On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 00:01:26 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

20Servic

Kewl! Thanks. My 3200m has two problems that I need to fix.
One is that it grabs too many sheets of paper in the fax feeder, making multi-page faxes or copying impossible without hand intervention.
The other is that it streaks the paper with toner (so something must be dirty).
I'll check out the service manual to see if it handles those two problems.

It's not the fuser. The fuser is a quartz tube "lamp" that heats the fusing roller - which melts the electrostatically deposited polymer/carbon toner into the paper. Either it works or it doesn't - (or just doesn't get hot enough) the toner smudges off the paper. If it fails totally the printer shuts down and gives an error code.

The old LJ II and III printers used to have problems with the density board that led to light printing. Would the OP's machine have a density board?
--
Tegger

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 02:22:21 +0000, Tegger wrote:

I have no idea *what* a density board is. My friend had appletalk; is that the same thing?
Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif
I plugged it into the router by the ethernet cable, but, nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same router by ethernet cable.
Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page, they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router) to see the printer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif
Which of these drivers will make the ethernet work? 1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver 2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver 3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles 4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles 5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit
And, which of those makes the scanner part work?

I may have inadvertently misled you. The scanner I referred to is the one that is part of the print engine, the LJ2100 does not scan documents. I assume there is a JetDirect card in the printer, if not you will need to either add one or use a print server if you want to network the printer over Ethernet. Tony
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:30:51 -0500, Tony wrote:

I had never heard of a "JetDirect", but, clearly the printer has an ethernet port as shown in this picture below:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1oosug.gif
Also, the test pages that printed show under "General Information" 1. HP JETDIRECT = J3110A 2. PORT SELECT = 10BASET 3. I/O CARD = READY 4. SNMP SET CMTY NAME = NONE 5. TCP/IP STATUS = READY

Ah good, then Ethernet connection should be possible. Tony
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 01:45:50 -0500, Tony wrote:

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer to print to the networked printer from all three platforms (except Android):
Windows XP ==>
http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 ==>
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux ==>
http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg
If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi, please let me know as I don't know where to start.
2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible to fix?:

Well done. I like your use of the above .jpgs.
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 05:48:42 -0500, CRNG wrote:

Thanks. It was a lot of work to make them, but, I figured if people helped me, I should help them by giving the answer which I sought and found, with their help.

I've replaced fuses on printers a lot older than that because it made good economic sense - but this was on heavy duty printers like Series 2 and LJ4000 printers.