HP Compaq: DOA - Obvious Things To Check?

Look at all the caps on the mobo. Any that are convex on the top?? Sounds to me like the mobo is shorted due to bad caps (very common problem - particularly if it's been running a bit slow lately)
On 03/13/2016 02:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The newer power supplies are deceptive.
http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/?PageSpeed=noscript
You need the jumper before the power supply itself fires up. The last time I had a problem that didn't trace back to a defective supply it was a bad floppy drive.
On 3/13/16 4:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Given the rock bottom price of entry level-- or even refurb-- computers these days, I'd bury it with full honors and go buy a new one;-)
--
It's every American's duty to support his government...but not
necessarily in the style to which it has become accustomed.