How would you set up two 50 gallon hot water heaters in series?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:45:55 -0400, clare wrote:

I should have mentioned both water heaters are gas fired and 50 gallons and they're both right next to each other (practically touching).
The hot output of one heater goes into the cold input of the other.
There is a hot-water recirculating pump on the output also that allows any of the five bathrooms in the house to have hot water within ten or fifteen seconds.
I will read all that is written here until I understand what the design goal was in the first place (and what then to set each temperature at).
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:40:08 -0700, Bob F wrote:

They are clearly set up in series.
I just want to know why anyone would do this and what I should set the heat at (both are currently set at 130 degrees) for each.
There is also a hot-water recirculating motor (which runs frequently).
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 02:40:49 +0000 (UTC), Aaron FIsher

No reason for this setup except to heat 100 gallons of water in 2 50 gallon tanks. Maybe the expense of a 100 gallon tank makes it more economical to use 2 50's. If you don't need all this hot water you could turn off the gas on the one closest to the cold water supply and kill the electric to the recirc pump. If your water supply is cold the first tank would act as a tempering tank and would usually give you a longer duration of hot water from the active tank. Or completely disconnect the first tank and hold it as a spare. Sounds like your system is working as intended to heat 100 gallons. Up to you how economical you want to be. Heating and keeping hot 100 gallons of water has costs.
--Vic
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:54:51 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

The water is pumped out of the ground from a well and then kept in two five thousand gallon tanks. So, the cold water is probably just a bit colder than outside air temperature. I never noticed it being particularly cold (it never freezes here) but I never thought about it before.

That's a new one and quite unusual. Whover set this up must be a survivalist.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:54:51 -0500, Vic Smith

Fot the use it is set up for I would set the first (tempering) tank lower than the second tank, or as mentioned previously, shut it off.
Having it TOO low just encourages bacterial growth, particularly if the hot water demand is low.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:10:36 +0000, Aaron FIsher wrote:

I see that I wrote this confusingly.
They appear to be in series (not in parallel).