How would you paint this entry door?

Picture a house with no foyer. The entry door opens right into the living room. At a right angle to the entry door, trim to trim, is a closet door. Both of these doors are the same 1950's light brown veneer grain doors, sort of like this:
http://www.vtindustries.com/images/flush-slideshow-default.jpg
So you're looking into the corner of the living room and you see 2 "matching" doors at right angles. When the entry door is open, it hides the closet door completely.
Now, consider replacing the entry door with a fiberglass that the owner wants painted to match the shutters and trim on the front of the house, sort of a maroon color.
What do you do with the inside of the entry door? Do you paint it the same maroon (which won't really match the color scheme of the room) or do you paint it to match the room which won't match the other door or do you paint the door to match the room and replace the closet door with something similar and then paint both doors to match or ... ?

paint the door to match the room and replace the closet door with something similar and then paint both doors to match
or
leave the closet door & just paint it to match color of interior of new door :(
consider color first & then style ...depends on clients budget
cheers Bob
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:22:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You stain the inside (and the edges) to match the interior doors and trim and you do whatever the owner wants, paint or stain, to the outside of the door.
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

re: You stain the inside (and the edges) to match the interior doors
The edges should match the interior doors? Are you sure that's right?
Here's what would be seen:
Entry door closed: People inside the house see a door that matches the interior doors, people outside the house see a door that matches the shudders and exterior trim, edges are not seen by anyone. So far, so good.
Entry door open: People inside or outside the house would see the exterior paint color on the face of the door, but would see the interior color on the edges. (No one can see the interior side of the door when it is open.) This doesn't sound right to me.
Why wouldn't I paint the edges to match the exterior since they are only seen when the door is open and the exterior of the door is viewable by people inside and outside the house? That way, anyone looking at the open door would see only the exterior color on all surfaces.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, that's right. Door edges are usually an extension of the side of the door in the direction to which it opens. If the door opens inward, the edge should match the inside of the door. If the door opens outward, the edge should match the outside of the door.
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:39:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You would finish the edges the same as the interior of the door because the interior of the door AND the edges are visible on the inside when the door is closed.
That way the interior AND the edges match the rest of the interior trim and doors (and the edges of the doors).
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

I'm not arguing, but...
I'm looking at my front door and with it closed I can't see the edges enough to tell what color they are. Based on how it's hung (in a corner) the only edge I could possibly see is the latch side and since it's inside the jamb, I couldn't tell you what color it is if my life depended on it. It's awfully dark inside that jamb! :)
However, once I open the door up against the right angle wall next to it, I can see the latch edge and the exterior face. If I'm standing on the front porch looking into the house I can see the hinge edge and the exterior face. Why wouldn't I want these to be the same color especially since the only times I can the edges is when the door is open?
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:55:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The way I look at it is if it was my house I would do what I said should be done. With that said, it is your, or the owner's, choice. So what ever makes you or the owner happy is what needs to be done.
Gordon Shumway
One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.

its very simple:)
just do whatever the owner wants:)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I paint the surface of an interior door to match the room that surface is in. If the door is open most of the time, I also paint the edges of the door the same as above.
For your particular exterior door, I would consider a different color for the exterior that coordinates with the other exterior colors, or black or white. Depending on the budget, I'd consider a similar appearing door for the closet...or paint the closet door same as the trim in the living room.
What color is liv. room, exterior of house?
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:22:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I'd throw out the idea of replacing the door or make the two doors match, or complement each other. Seeing two unmatched doors next to each other can look out-of-place.

The exterior and interior colors can be different and still be correct.
That leaves you to determine how to do the edges. :)
How often is the entry door going to be left in the fully open position?? Not often I suspect.
Colbyt

Why do you suspect "not often"?
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:22:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The outside of the door and the hinge edge should be the same color. The inside of the door and the lock edge should match the interior trim and doors. Most fiberglass doors can be stained. You can stain and finish the interior side to match the closet. There are actually kits available specifically for fiberglass doors. If you go this route, do the staining before the exterior painting.