How would you handle this situation?

Long story short, I hired a contractor to remove three trees from my property and in the process he caused damage beyond the usual yard dings from falling limbs and trunks. He dropped a limb on my shed, breaking the shingles and wood sheeting. Dropped a limb on my yard rake, shattering it. Tried to hide both damages until I confronted him. He said, 'well the roof was old anyway'. It was but it was completely intact. He purchased in inferior POS rake to replace my broken one telling me that's all Home Depot had. That was a lie because I stopped at the same HD the same day and bought my replacement that was identical to my old one.

Came out on the wettest, muddiest day of the year and tore up my path to the woods with his equipment. I'll never get my yard tractor back to my compost area. Left large logs scattered back in my woods. At this point I called his office and told them they were not to return to complete the job unless I was present.

They returned the next day when I was at work, against my wishes of being present and attempted cut the stumps down and to clean up the thick layer of sawdust in the area. They piled the sawdust in piles on the edge of my yard in a completely unacceptable area. That was the last straw so I called the office and fired the company. Told them never to return. I've had ten other trees removed from my property. Five that I did and five that I had another company do. Those ten trees didn't create as much mess or damage as this guy did with these three.

I sent them 800.00 of a 1200.00 invoice. Held the bal to cover repairs. Got a phone call from their office a few days later to call the owner of the co (who is the one that did the job, causing the damage). I thought he wanted to discuss options to settle the matter so I called. I hardly got a word in edgewise. He proceeded to cuss me out, call me an asshole, tell me I was a deadbeat, threaten me and tell me that there were collection agencies for people like me. I asked him about my damaged property and he informed me that he didn't give a f**k about my property and that he could have hired 4 ni**ers to do the job for less and that he'll see me in court. I said I'd see him there and hung up. I recorded parts of this conversation. Against my desire to go to his place of business and tear his white trash, racist head off, I instead decided to follow the legal route. I called the cops, filed a report on the threat and will proceed to file a restraning order in a day or two when I have the chance.

So, my question is: Is it ok to withold part of the payment due him to cover repair costs? He has insurance that I may use but I'm still going to hold the bal until repairs are completed to my satisfaction. You know how insurance companies are. Should I let it go to court? Any other advise for a situation like this? TIA

Reply to
betruger

Subject: How would you handle this situation? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => betruger Should I let it go to court?

Check your email. I sent you something that might not be a good idea to post public.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Subject: Re: How would you handle this situation? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => G. Morgan Check your email. I sent you something that might not be a good idea to post

Okay the email bounced. Send me an email, I have important news for you.

(remove both 'snails' from my addy.)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
Phisherman

I would first pursue this through his insurance company and also notify your own, provided you have coverage for the shed. Take good pictures of the damage. Withhold the remaining payment until the issue is resolved. Make sure to have good documentation/bills for any repairs made, the new rake, etc.

As far as contacting the police and restraining orders, what exact threats did he make? Did he threaten you physically? Unless he did, simply calling you some names and demanding payment is normally not a criminal matter.

Reply to
trader4

I would stop paymnt on the first check if it is not to late now, and get bids on making things right . You say he has insurance, well how do you know, did he present you with proof of insurance, insurance certs can be changed-forged. You need to talk to his broker and inform them of your claim. Check with the city for all proper bonding and lisences. A restraining order will help to show you are serious. Don`t worry about his collection agency threats, if he is legal, lisenced and insured and the damages are less than 400 fix things yourself. Get several written bids for all repairs. If more than 400 for apx 35$ file in small claim that will shut him up. If he threatens with any thing like a Lien or anything more you should file small claim anyway to let a judge resolve the issue. You dont need or want a lawyer for this or small claims. See if he is completly legal, stop pay, get bids, and file your restraining order. Hacks like that need the action you are already expecting to do and have taken. Keep your phone recorder on Auto answer. I had a guy I stopped payment on and with my auto on recorder I was lucky, because the first words out of him when I answered were a threat I played back to the police, without Auto on I would never have had the time to push the buttons. He is a hack-crook, treat him as one, and keep taking the first step legally as you have done, to beat him to the punch.

Reply to
m Ransley

Oh, and another very important point. I'd check your state laws on recording phone conversations before you tell anyone, especially the police, that you have them. In some states it's a criminal offense to record phone conversations without the consent of both parties. You could wind up in a lot more trouble than the contractor.

Reply to
trader4

Don't deal with him, call his insurance company. If he does not have an insurance company check locally, many places require contractors to have insurance. Too bad some don't. Also check with your insurance company.

If it turns out he does not have insurance coverage, then consider this a lesson about checking on contractors you hire and maybe if your local government does not require insurance, maybe it is time to start asking why not.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I think YOU should initiate the small claims case, he likely won't since he knows he is in the wrong. he ma may destroy your credit if he turns you over to collections. I bet once you have him served with the court papers he will change his tune. I would also jack up prices as high as possible on everything since he was such a prick on the phone. the publicity on his business will be devastating if he doesn't settle quickly.

Reply to
longshot

this is good advice, let your insurance company fight his insurance company. that way the lawyers are free.

Reply to
longshot

Email sent. Thanks.

Reply to
betruger

I'm finished talking to that a_hole personally although I did consider talking to the office about it. I may do that. Everything is already documented.

Reply to
betruger

He said he was going to come over and jerk the payment out of me. Hah. He'll be very dead if he were to try.

Reply to
betruger

In this State, it is illegal so....yes, the recordings are useless.

Reply to
betruger

I got his insurance papers before I hired him. Standard procedure for me.

Reply to
betruger

Photos are necessary, dont jack up any prices as someone else suggested, be far and get bids, 3 is best. Recording conversations will not get you in trouble as most states require One party be agreeing to the recording and that is you. If questioned as to why you recorded him, your answer to that is it is for contract verification, changes , and protecton.

Keep your insrance co out of it . Any claim can raise your rates.

You may have more than 400 damage but wont know till you get bids, stop pay on the original 800 now if you can till you know your costs to make everything fair and right, not at inflated prices or costs, of course. I have done this many times with success with hacks.

Photo everything of importance.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'm going to call his insurance co. I don't know how to file a suit. I never did it before.

Reply to
betruger

I don't think you can charge for your own time. you can however pay a buddy $20.00 per hour to do the work. wink wink

Reply to
longshot

Payment for services is different from damage he may have done. You pay for the services and contact his insurance company to make a claim for damages.

While withholding payment seems like a good and logical way to take compensation, the law says otherwise. You can also file in small claims court easily and cheaply.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wasn't suggesting he rip him off, but I would want to figure in the hassle & time involved plus court costs into the payment. simply getting a few bids & submitting the higher ones, then doing the work yourself would likely cover it.

Rob

Reply to
longshot