how wide the snow path

Page 1 of 2
For those of you who shovel your sidewalks by hand, no snowblower or employee doing it, how wide do you shovel?
Without exception, as far as I can see, my neibhbors shovel the whole width of their personal sidewalk (to their door) and the one at right angles to that (to the neighbors), which is about 3 feet.
OTOH, I shovel the width I need to walk on the sidewalk without getting snow in my shoes or in the cuffs of my pants, about 18", which is two widths of my lightweight aluminum shove. or two overlapping widths when I use the coal shovel I found in the trash and cut off to be relatively straight at the end.
Which do you do?
If you do the whole width, do you look down on, despise, people like me? Or do you wish you could be like me? or do you ignore me?
"micky" wrote in message
For those of you who shovel your sidewalks by hand, no snowblower or employee doing it, how wide do you shovel?
Without exception, as far as I can see, my neibhbors shovel the whole width of their personal sidewalk (to their door) and the one at right angles to that (to the neighbors), which is about 3 feet.
OTOH, I shovel the width I need to walk on the sidewalk without getting snow in my shoes or in the cuffs of my pants, about 18", which is two widths of my lightweight aluminum shove. or two overlapping widths when I use the coal shovel I found in the trash and cut off to be relatively straight at the end.
Which do you do?
If you do the whole width, do you look down on, despise, people like me? Or do you wish you could be like me? or do you ignore me?
You have good neighbors. What is their opinion of you? WW

I'm afraid to ask!
micky wrote:

I ensure I don't live anywhere where there are sidewalks, or much snow.
On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:44:07 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Full width. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
You want to allow for two people walking side by side, perhaps assisting one who's disabled, perhaps walking a dog, perhaps with compromised vision - lots of reasons to do more than a narrow path.
Also, the narrow path gets harder to keep clear, as later snows get walked on, and as melt water freezes.

These are all good reasons, though none really apply to me. I'm the last house on the sidewalk so anyone using it is coming to my house. No one who is disabled ever comes to my house, no one with a dog, no one with bad vision. And the only pairs of people who might come are missionaries, and when they see how narrow the path is, they can walk one by one, or not come at all which would be fine with me.

Also a good reason, but not so much in Baltimore where it's rarely cold for very long. This one might apply on occasion. I wonder what my mailman thinks. I'll ask him.
Thanks.

Who you gonna believe? Usenet, or your own lyin mailman?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Also what about wheelchairs or electric scooters, they need extra room to get through.

Very true. I once was waiting at a red light, when I spotted a person all bundled up in a motorized wheelchair. They were stuck on the sidewalk where someone hadn't shoveled. I pulled off the road, told them to floor it. As they did, they slipped down a hill and did a roll over! I got the heck out of there.

I do not have sidewalks along the road in front of my house. I have a single width driveway with a flower bed on one side and a lawn on the other. I typically clear the driveway from edge to edge and then widen it about 36" by removing the snow from the lawn. For the walkway from my stoop to my driveway, I typically double the width, again by clearing the snow from the lawn along side it. My snowblower, tilted back at a slight angle, makes quick work of this.
As the snow piles up, the extra width gives us room to walk, open car doors, move the snowblower around in the driveway, etc.
I also clear a 24" path (the width of my snowblower) across my front lawn from my walkway to my neighbor's driveway so the mail carrier and newspaper lady don't have to trudge through the snow or walk all the way out to the street and back.
When the snow is really deep, I will run the snowblower all the way around my house so I can get to the back door, shed, deck, etc.
When I was growing up in NYC, I always frowned upon the one or two homeowners on our block who either didn't clear their sidewalks fully or didn't clear them at all. Obviously, there needs to be some leeway for the elderly or frail, but as for the homeowners who are just too lazy to make it easier for people (especially the elderly or frail) walk down the sidewalk, well, I definitely looked down on them.
There were a few of us who made sure that the stoops and sidewalks of the elderly and frail were kept clear of snow for their safety. The occasional batch of cookies or the offer of a cup of coffee made it all worthwhile.
On 12/9/2013 7:44 AM, micky wrote:

Does your city not have ordinances requiring the WHOLE sidewalk to be cleared? Around here in Central Oregon, that is the case. It's not a matter of walking, it's a matter of your liability should someone slip and fall on your sidewalk.
Paul
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:16:35 -0800, Paul Drahn

I assumed they didn't. I'll look into that.

People should walk on the shoveled part. It's not my fault if they don't. Failure to follow a city ordinance would not in itself make me liable. If the failure were also negligence, (and the proximate cause of the injury) that would make me liable.
Thanks.

On 12/9/2013 2:18 PM, micky wrote:

I'd like to see you telling that to a personal injury lawyer.

The judge is the one you have to make this particular argument to. In Indiana (anyway) the judge or jury can apportion degree of negligence. If they had a usable path and did not take, they would certainly have some degree of culpability.,
but what they conceal is vital.
On 12/9/2013 3:34 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Yeah, you tell it to the judge, but the lawyer is the one that will rip you apart. A narrow path on a wide sidewalk won't get you many points.
On 12/9/2013 10:44 AM, micky wrote:

Full width. Sidewalk full width is required in some towns, but for safety, that is what you want.

On a good day we call you a lazy bastard. On a bad day, even worse.

Good to know.
I guess this started when I was 10 and we moved to a new house, or at least when I first started shoveling the driveway, 10, 11, 12?
The driveway to the garage was over 100 feet long, and there was no chance I could shovel the whole thing at age 10 or 12, so I shoveled just two tracks wide enough for the tires. My mother was a good backer-upper and she could back 100 feet while staying in the shoveled part most of the time. Or she used the "turnaround", a little extra part where one could park one or two cars, or turn around, so she could drive out in forward, where the tracks were even easier to follow. Since then I lived in apartments with no shoveling involved until I got this house,

Whether using the blower or the shovel I clear the full width od the 40 inch sidewalk - every time.

I just call the city to report an improperly cleared sidewalk. Then the city comes out and clears it and puts the charge on your tax bill.
You have 24 hours - - -
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:52:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You guys are all pretty much right!!
" 18-3-107. REMOVAL OF SNOW AND ICE. (a) Required. Within 24 hours after the fall of any snow, each person or public institution occupying or using a residential, commercial, or industrial building in any manner or for any purpose shall remove and clear away, or cause to be removed and cleared away, the snow from the foot pavements fronting the respective houses, stores, shops, stables, houses of worship, lots occupied by any buildings, unoccupied buildings, and unoccupied lots that run along streets in the county.
===> It doesn't explicitly say "all of the sidewalk" so what a lawyer would do is argue that a person in my shoes was "substantially compliant". That works sometimes, here it would probably be easier to pay their charge for shoveling.
By "fronting" I think they mean the sidewalk parallel to the street. I actually own only about 3 feet of that just outside my fence, but farther away from the fence, I have about 15 feet. This is in front of the land my next-door neighbor says he owns, yet he doesn't always shovel it when he shovels the sidewalk in front of his house. Yesterday I was out by 10AM. No one was there but the 15 feet were already shoveled, likely by a different neighbor.. I looked at 9 and no one was outside. AT 8 I thought it was too cold to shovel.
It doesn't seem like there is any rule for the sidewalk to my door.
Thanks everyone. ====<
(b) Manner of removal. In removing or clearing the snow, the person may not: (1) Obstruct the passage of water in gutters along the street; or (2) Throw the snow on the paved portion of the street. (c) County may remove. If the person required to remove and clear snow under this section does not remove and clear the snow, the county may do so at the expense of the person. (d) Expense a lien. (1) If the person does not pay the expense incurred by the county for snow removal under this section, the expense shall be a lien on the property in the same manner as taxes, and shall be collected in the same manner provided by law for the collection of taxes. (2) Charges and assessments imposed under this subsection are benefit charges and may not exceed a reasonable estimate of the special benefit conferred on the property. (e) Removal of ice. The person required to remove and clear snow also shall keep ice and every type of obstruction out of the gutters leading to and off the pavements or sidewalks located in front or at the rear or sides of the same buildings. (f) Penalty. In addition to the other remedies provided in this section, a person who fails to comply with this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of $25 for each failure and an additional $25 for each day the obstruction continues. (1988 Code, § 31-8) (Bill No. 3, 1990, § 2; Bill No. 66-01, § 2, 7-1-2004)"
On 12/10/2013 4:25 AM, micky wrote:

That is all there so the city doesn't get sued! Paul