How were Kitchen Counter Tops Attached?

I've signed a contract with Home Depot for them to install a new Quartz countertop to replace the nearly 50-year old formica one I now have. I think the sales lady at HD told me if I removed the old sink & countertop myself I wouldn't have to pay an extra removal/disposal charge.
I have an L shaped countertop. Was it customary in the late 50s to simply nail the plywood top down to the cabinet, or would they have used an adhesive.....or both?
Anyway, I would welcome suggestions as to how to get the top loose. My guess would be upward strokes at the overhangs with a hammer, followed by a pry bar. But if anyone has a better idea, please share.

I hope you're not suggesting putting Quartz ($$$) on 50 year old cabinets. Are you suuuure you wanna do that? I don't see many 50 year old cabinets in great shape, either functionally or aesthetically speaking.

My 54 YO *stick-builts* are worthy of a Quartz top, as long as I add new doors too.
There's nothing like the uninterrupted space of stick-builts that have no partitions within. e.g. Four doors wide on the outside, one big box on the inside. It's amazing how much more room you have when you don't have to fit round objects into small rectangular boxes.