How well does cement work with wood?

My mailbox was knocked down by a vehicle and I'm thinking of trying to use cement to fix the break point which is right at ground level. I have one of those plastic mailboxs with the wood support in the back. I thought this might be easier than trying to dig up the pole from the ground and replacing it. How well does cement work with wood? If this is feasible I was wondering if a place like Lowes has a small do it yourself cement mixing kit for small jobs like this?

Reply to
stonej

Sounds like you should just replace rather than repair. By the time you spend the money on the the repair you will probably have paid the replacement value of the mailbox. If the repair even works at all.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Drill a couple of holes and support the break with dowels. Then cement.

Reply to
DK

Cement does not stick to wood. Is the post in cement now or in dirt? If in cement, it may be possible to pull out hte remaining part and just replace the pole.

Rubbermaid makes a pole that has a metal portion that is driven into the ground, then a plastic pole over top of it. Seems to work well as mine has been in the ground about 6 ort 7 years now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They make metal post supports which are driven into the ground, then the post is inserted into the above ground portion. One of these might help.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F