How well do cell phones really work?

Page 2 of 2

Do you think maybe when circuits are busy, the cell company gives priority to outgoing calls and makes no effort to ring the 2nd party, just offers to take a voicemail? That would cut in half the number of connections that are made.

On 06/04/2015 08:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Here, AT&T has poor coverage. At home I have to stay in certain places along the south side of my yard (closest to a business area and major highway). Verizon is the best here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 12:19:58 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

...according to Consumer Report on customer service/satisfaction, T-Mobile for the big guys...and with a higher score, US Cellular for the small guys.
On 6/4/2015 1:19 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Opposite here. ATT can be used anywhere in the house or in myh neighborhood. Verizon only worked at the end of the driveway. I found that to be inconvenient at 10 PM when it is 4 degrees so I stuck with ATT. Seems like they call have bad spots at some point.

In addition to the other reply, I have found that much depends on network usage at any given time. You could be crowded out when everyone tries to use a limited resource at the same time.
This is one reason carriers are in the process of adding WIFI coverage, in addition to regular cell coverage. If you are within WIFI coverage, they can route you through the wired system without having to use their precious cell bandwidth (or even if you are nowhere near cell coverage).
On 6/4/2015 7:28 AM, taxed and spent wrote:

In NYC AT&T has a lot of issues. Verizon does not.

That could be a big part of it.
Is there an app t hat lets one view the group of voicemails as a list of separate ones, and maybe even lets one call in and retrieve them out of order? For android.

check out Visual Voice Mail, from your carrier.
I have my unanswered cell phone calls roll over to my landline phone, and the landline phone has free visual voice mail.
On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 17:48:04 -0700, "taxed and spent"

I do the same, but I have my own answering machine on the land line.

Don't know Android - I'm not a big fan. Love my BlackBerry Q10 - loved myBB Curve before that, and the 2 others before that. Before the "smart phones" I had several Nokias that worked well.and a Motorola that wasn't worth crap. They've all been on the Rogers (AT&T) network.
You'd be surprized how many cell phones you see in the bush in Africa - where you could never get a land line.

in low density areas, cellular is the cheaper infrastructure alternative.
On 6/4/2015 10:51 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

In the US, the phone system was built bit by bit over decades. China gave phone service to millions in a couple of years with cell towers.
On 06/05/2015 09:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I remember a photo from years ago, maybe in Wired magazine. It was laying fiber optic in China. There was a line of workers as far as you could see with the fiber optic cable on their shoulders. None of those fancy spool trucks and power ditchers for those guys.
On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 21:56:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The chief criterion was a phone with an FM radio in it. If that was android, so be it. It was some Huawei model.
On 06/04/2015 08:03 AM, micky wrote:

Just well enough so you'll pay your monthly bill.
Remember, it's not about you the customer, it's about the stockholder. Shut up and pay your damn bill. ;-)
W2 Wage Slave wrote:

Just one of many communication problems happening every day all over the world. Some times people even die because of this...
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 04:26:30 -0400, W2 Wage Slave

Yes sir.