How to wire in a range outlet.

I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
flgeagle

Whooo -- be careful! I all likelyhood, BOTH the red and black are hot and it is a 220v circuit.

Reply to
The Streets

But thrtr is an unwrapped wire

Is this a bare wire or with green insulation? If it is, then that's your ground wire.

Reply to
# Fred #

Red is hot Black is hot White is neutral Bare is ground

On the receptacle, the red and black wires go to the two brass colored terminals (one to each, order doesn't matter), white goes to the silver colored terminal and the bare goes to the green colored terminal.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Right.

WRONG!!

Right.

That bare wire is the ground. The black one is hot also. You're apparently thinking of DC. In residential AC circuits in the US and Canada, at least, black is ALWAYS hot.

The best advice I can give you is to call an electrician, because you don't even begin to understand what you're looking at.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Other than the bare wire, which would be ground, don't assume to know what any color wire represents until you separate the conductors and test them for yourself. Once you determine which are hot and or neutral, then you can proceed to connect them to a receptacle. If you find the colors incorrect for what they are carrying, I would remark them as necessary

Reply to
RBM

Doug, did you get an email from me a few days ago?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

No, I didn't. I have a very aggressive spam filter, though, and since you're coming from hotmail.com, it may well not have made it through.

I'll put you in my address book so that won't happen, and you can try again.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks, I'll resend. it'll come from steve at barkerranch dot net

Reply to
Steve Barker LT