How to wire in a range outlet.

I'm replacing an old drop in unit that was hard wired and I want to install a range outlet. I know it has it has a red,black and white wire. Red is hot,black is ground and white is neutral. But thrtr is an unwrapped wire and I don't know what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Whooo -- be careful! I all likelyhood, BOTH the red and black are hot and it is a 220v circuit.
But thrtr is an unwrapped wire

Is this a bare wire or with green insulation? If it is, then that's your ground wire.
flgeagle wrote:

Red is hot Black is hot White is neutral Bare is ground
On the receptacle, the red and black wires go to the two brass colored terminals (one to each, order doesn't matter), white goes to the silver colored terminal and the bare goes to the green colored terminal.
Pete C.

Right.
WRONG!!
Right.
That bare wire is the ground. The black one is hot also. You're apparently thinking of DC. In residential AC circuits in the US and Canada, at least, black is ALWAYS hot.
The best advice I can give you is to call an electrician, because you don't even begin to understand what you're looking at.
--
Regards,
Doug, did you get an email from me a few days ago?

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message

No, I didn't. I have a very aggressive spam filter, though, and since you're coming from hotmail.com, it may well not have made it through.
I'll put you in my address book so that won't happen, and you can try again.
--
Regards,
Thanks, I'll resend. it'll come from steve at barkerranch dot net
Steve Barker

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message
Other than the bare wire, which would be ground, don't assume to know what any color wire represents until you separate the conductors and test them for yourself. Once you determine which are hot and or neutral, then you can proceed to connect them to a receptacle. If you find the colors incorrect for what they are carrying, I would remark them as necessary