How to wire 2 12V Hologens in Wall Unit with a switch

I have a Wall unit which used to have 4 12V halogens wired in. There are 2 switches which used to work 2 lights each. I have doesnsized the Wall Unit, so that there are now only 2 12V halogens. I have a bunch or wires and a transformer from the old set-up, but am unable to get the one switch to work to work the lights. What is the proper way to wire this set up from outlet, to swithces, to lamps. I am not an electrician obviously. But this should not be too hard.

If I bypass the switch, I can get the lamps to run, on constant on, but would like to use the switch. When I try to wire the switch into the flow, the lights go on when I plug them in, but when I try to turn them off with the swith, it throws the circuit breaker. I am plugging the whole thing into a normal wall socket.

Reply to
rct20

Wire the two lamps in parallel and connect the switch in series with either of the transformer secondary leads.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

The switch interrupts one of the two wires going from the plug to the transformer. If the plug is polarized, the switch interrupts the wire connected to the smaller prong on the plug

Reply to
RBM

So if I hear you right:

1) I connect one of the wires from the outlet plug to one of the wires leading to the switch, and the other wire from outlet the plug to one of the wires leading to the transformer. 2) Then I connect the other wire leading from the plug to the other wire leading from the transformer.

Correct?

RBM remove this wrote:

Reply to
rct20

One of the wires from the plug goes directly to the transformer The other wire from the plug goes to the switch, then from the switch to the transformer

Reply to
RBM

Got it. Thanks. That's what I tried to say, but in re-reading, made a mistake.

Thanks alot!.

RBM remove this wrote:

Reply to
rct20