How to Waterproof Shower Niche

I just had my shower rebuilt by a contractor. It's done in 18" travertine tiles. The tiling was finished about a month ago but we haven't used the shower yet (more work in other parts of the bathroom are still underway). It has recently come to my attention that shower niches are notorious for leaking and that they need to be properly waterproofed. I would like to ask my contractor if he did this but I don't know what questions to ask. I've read that the bottom of the niche should be sloped to promoted drainage (which it is) and that inside the niche (behind the tile I guess) there should be some sort of sealing material like RedGard.
Is there anything else I should ask about?
Thanks, Dave
Look up www.schluter.com and see one method of sealing niches in showers in their shower installation instructions.

headware wrote:

Seems a little late now to ask, don't you think! Hot Mopping comes to mind or some kind of thick liner. What are you going to do about it now anyway, the job sounds like it's finished....
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Obviously I'm discovering this later than I would like to have, but I figure it might be less expensive to fix now than it would be to fix later in addition to a mold remediation.

Ask him what he did and then post back here. BTW, even if he did the right things he might not have done them the right way...
The best way to waterproof shower niches is to have them waterproof to start. https://www.noblecompanyonlinestore.com/_store.php?func=product_list&c=sc&brdct=true
Safest and fastest for the homeowner and contractor.