how to water proof a wall

I have an apartment in Turkey, there is one wall that takes a hammering over the wet winter months, the wall is currently painted externally and internally and is not on the ground floor, When I go out in spring there is a little `dampness` on the inside of that wall, normal for turkish builds and easily sorted with a quick scrape and a new coat of paint. However I would like to at least improve the situation and even better if I could solve it by trying to coat the wall with something to seal it.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Reply to
S S

I would be cautious about sealing the wall. It sounds like you may have a masonry wall. ( Telling us the materials and thickness would be a great help.) Many such walls can take in a lot of moisture which eventually is released. If moisture were to get into such a wall at some joint such as a window frame connection... A surface seal would hold the moisture in the wall with a number of possible bad results. T

Reply to
tbasc

Find the source of where and how moisture is enetering the wall and put your seal there. It may not necessarily be the rain against the wall but from above the wall. or someplace else., But determine the source and go from there with your sealer.

Reply to
Jack

The dampness is on the roof terrace exit, the exit from the stairwell, there are no windows and I have used silicon sealant around the door. It appears to seep in from one side only and from about ground level to approx 2 feet above, there does not appear to be any seepage from the roof of the stairwell down. The wall is single skin using a type of honeycomb brick between concrete pillars and then skimmed over. I would reckon the wall is approx 7 inches thick.

I presume if I sealed the wall >> I have an apartment in Turkey, there is one wall that takes a hammering >> over

Reply to
S S