How to use drain auger properly to fix toilet backup?

Finally got to use the drain auger today but didn't really get the most out of it this time. This drain auger did not come with instructions: I'm guessing push as much of the coil into the opening as far as possible - then turn on, right? BUT for me, turning it on meant the coil did not stay down the opening and well flipped around like a real snake. I ended up just using it as a sort of coat hanger.

Reply to
what to do