How to use B&D screw extractor set?

search the group for

screw extractor

there are recent threads on the issue

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I am trying to take off the hardware off some kitchen cabinets. One of the screws is very difficult to extract, and I stripped the head of the screw. I bought a Black & Decker Screw Extractor Set, which is used with any power drill. When I opened the case, I couldn't find any directions inside. Can anyone give me instructions on how to use these screw extractors to take out the stripped out screw? Thanks.

Reply to
tenplay

Interesting to me because I just sent a gun back to the factory to have a broken screw in the barrel removed - something I would not try because mess-up could be costly. This was my first Google:

guide hole is needed. Seems to me that use of extractor in drill might be iffy. This is job you don't do very often and doing by hand probably safer. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Generally pretty simple, but be patient and take your time.

Center punch a dimple in the middle of the screw. Being in the middle is important!

Drill a hole in the screw that is big enough to let the screw extractor enter, but not big enough to damage the threads in the hole where the screw is.

The screw extractors I have used a tap wrench to turn them. Insert the proper size screw extractor in the tap wrench and tighten the wrench well.

Lightly tap the extractor/wrench into the hole you have drilled.

This is a LEFT-HAND device, so turn GENTLY counter-clockwise. DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS!

It also often helps to have put some penetrating oil on the screw.

If all fails, drill out the screw and tap to the next larger size.

There are also left-handed drill bits that are good for this, according to a friend who does a lot of work on outboard motors, which have zinc and aluminum castings, which corrode badly around the ocean.

Reply to
professorpaul