How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Page 6 of 14
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 06:37:22 -0400:

They have deep wells.
On 6/29/2014 8:02 AM, DannyD. wrote:

shared. I doubt they will.
With five miles distance, and 2,000 feet elevation, I doubt anyone will trench and put in public water to these homes.
Wonder if someone can drill down then over, and put in pumping stations.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/29/2014 8:19 AM, bob haller wrote:

I've lived in two story homes most of my life. They make a lot of sense for people under the age of about 60. Our house is a "raised ranch" with family room, utilities, and spare room on the lower level. With arthritis in my knees and my wife's heart condition, we are happy to stay on the one level most of the time.
On 06/29/2014 10:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I cured my arthritis, heart and Type II diabetes. Check out what this cardiologist has to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

Dr Davis literally saved my life!
On Friday, June 27, 2014 5:16:36 PM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:

Negoiate with someone on city water to be your water source:)
offer to pay their water bill, and you use their home to pickup water from....
this would completely elminate the water meter rental fee:) and all of you share the water bill.
although you could try talking to the water company about expanding service to your now drying up area....
On 6/29/2014 8:25 AM, bob haller wrote:

elevation from the muni water system.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
trader_4 wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 04:41:12 -0700:

Both pumps have separate protection systems, as I can easily see that this old pump setup "trips" to "red" when the pump prematurely shuts.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3906/14346894019_617712c1c3_b.jpg

I'm going to take that advice, especially for the "old" well.
Here's a pic of the 4 "control" boxes for the old well:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5536/14346859580_bd0a7b833d_b.jpg
The same set of four boxes are there for the new well:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3881/14346925288_84839b4b98_b.jpg
I forget what the four boxes do though. One is the dedicated circuit breaker for the pump, the other is the no-load trip control for when the well is out of water. The third, I think, is a timer, which is what I should lengthen to allow the well to refill, and I forget what the fourth box does.
Pat wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:43:28 -0400:

That's interesting, as I have no way of knowing how deep the neighbor's wells are. So, your point is valid that the "rest period" I gave the well isn't necessarily a rest period if the neighbors are pumping at the same time.
I do not know how fast water moves through rock, so a lot would depend on how localized the "cone of depression" is:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/gw_ruralhomeowner/images/fig14.gif
Googling, I found that diagram in this document: Ground Water and the Rural Homeowner, by the USGS http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/gw_ruralhomeowner/gw_ruralhomeowner_new.html

This is a valid point, which I am looking up to learn more about. http://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthgwdecline.html
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:13:59 -0400:

Ooops. This is the correct picture of my fate being determined by the level of this yellow block of wood:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3908/14506159396_3db00f050c_b.jpg
I have to coerce flickr into allowing me a URL of just the picture (instead of an entire GUI, which flickr wants you to go to), & I goofed up on that one. I apologize.
On 6/29/2014 9:00 AM, DannyD. wrote:

Is the other end of the rope tied onto a float?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:13:59 -0400:

I've never understood how *any* water would be found on top of a hill, but, in reading up on it, apparently it looks like this: http://water.usgs.gov/edu/gwdepletion.html
The water kind of follows the countour lines, but there may be a layer of impervious soil preventing it from going deeper as it 'runs' down the hill to the lakes & rivers below.
"DannyD." wrote:

Are those 200 sprinklers to irrigate a cash crop?
Because if it's just for landscaping, I would think you'd get little sympathy or understanding from most of us reading about your situation.
For the pool, at least there are covers for pools that limit evaporation. Do you even have one of those?
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 08:04:23 -0400:

Actually, I should be clearer that the *current* zoning is 40 acre lots: http://bayareaappraisalgroup.net/files/SantaClaraZone.pdf
But, I think that huge minimum lot size is there only to prevent *any* more building from going on in these mountains. http://www.sccgov.org/sites/planning/PermitsDevelopment/ZoningOrdinance/Documents/ZonOrd_0114.pdf
In reality, most people have half that size lots although there are some that are 77 acres, and others that are as small as 5 or 6 acres (probably nothing smaller than that). http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/bds/Govstream/BDSvData/non_legacy/agendas/2007/20070424/PDF/032.pdf
bob haller wrote:

That might work. I learned about altruism early. We had a shallow well, as did the neighbor. When his well went dry, my father and I helped him dig a new one. When ours went dry and I was down in the cellar with a sledge hammer sinking a point, I don't remember Sandy even showing up with a cold beer.
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:36:05 -0400, Diamond69 wrote:

See these diagrms of rurl wells
http://www.tricountypumpsblog.com/778556/2013/11/14/how-does-a-water-well-pump-work.html
http://www.carrwell.com/constantpressure/images/pumpsystem_large.jpg
--- ---
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:07:43 -0400:

Yes. It has, literally, a chlorox bottle on one float, and, IIRC, a more standard float on the other. I think one is to shut off the house booster when emptying (for fire) and the other is to shut off the well pump when filling.
I climbed on top of a neighbor's tank farm, and snapped a lot of pictures, because mine, with two shared tanks, seems to be the oddity.
The neighbor's whom I climbed in had six 5,000 gallon tanks, all hooked up in series, but with the last two reserved for fire alone (plus a 20,000 gallon cistern for fire).
I snapped a bunch of pictures but can't post them right now as I have to run (maybe it will be a different thread as this is getting a bit off topic from the "trucking" aspect).

Can you cut a deal with the folk with deeaper wells or form a co op for a better deeper well? Might be money from the State/Federal farm bureaus.
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:07:43 -0400:

Yes. This is not "my" tank, it's a neighbor's tank, but we looked at his tank today and realized he was being shorted by 1,000 gallons, so, we lifted the float, and his tank started gushing out.
Here's the lifted float:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2927/14524586686_7ca6655fcc_b.jpg
And, here's the water flow (way better than mine!):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5480/14361082928_e50794c170_c.jpg
Compare that float and water flow with this neighbor's float:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3922/14546837292_bdd8bfb91b_b.jpg
And, when we lifted his float, this was the water flow:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2917/14361116820_0a1a6279c6_c.jpg
Of course, lifting the float on this 20K gallon cistern didn't do anything, so, we found out that one residence water supply had a problem for firefighting (their water was the dribbling float):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3911/14546836852_d3987f1802_c.jpg
On 6/30/2014 11:38 PM, DannyD. wrote:

duration, and interruption. Do you maybe have trouble with your prostate?
--
.
Christopher A. Young