How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Page 2 of 14
dpb wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:16:41 -0500:

It's less than 5 miles from the fire hydrant but the grade is a windy 9%. I never owned a pickup, nor a trailer, so I'm unfamiliar with what they can carry.
dpb wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:16:41 -0500:

That's the real problem. Right now, only two are actually *out* of water (they are using it faster than it comes in).
The rest of them (including me) are *slow* on water, which just means that it will only get worse since the next forcasted rainfall is some time around Halloween.
Kurt Ullman wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:44:25 -0400:

Good question.
How much does it cost to drill a well an additional 100 feet?
I don't know. Mine are something like 400 feet deep (I think), but what would it cost to drill that to 500 feet? I don't know.
On Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:36:14 AM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:

With plastic casing, which is what is being used here these days, AFAIK you can't just drill an existing well deeper. You have to start all over. Steel casing, etc maybe you can. I'd definitely find out about that option though.
On 6/28/2014 7:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Since they are 2,000 altitude, it may be there isn't enough water to be useful. Danny, do any of your neighbors have good supply of water? If no neighbors have water, it's possible the deeper well option isn't viable.
Lets also look at the time factor. Suppose that Danny or other worker decides to shuttle thousand gallon trips. Fill the tank will probably be 10 minutes at hydrant, plus connect and dis- connect. Threads, put the meter back on the truck, and so on. At the house, we're not sure what is the GPH with a pump, there is time needed to pump into the house tank. Drive up and down the hill. Anyone want to make a SWAG as to the time for one shuttle? More than anyone expects, I'm sure.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:18:56 -0400:

The fire hydrants are about five miles away, and that's the absolute closest to municipal water (San Jose Water Company).

I'm thinking of building a how-to web site, where I test free android apps, or that I write how to's for people who know as little as I do. Maybe .. some day ...
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:57 -0400:

Just dump water into the tanks.
Everyone, by code, has to have something like 10,000 gallons or 15,000 minimum (codes changed over time) so we would just dump the water into the top of the water tank that every house has.
On 6/28/2014 12:38 AM, DannyD. wrote:

Five miles is too long for garden hose, even if it had the flow and pressure.
The local tanks, are the tanks inground, or above ground? Inground, you can probably gravity drain from the truck tank.
I sense this will turn into a one man project, and that one man will be rather busy.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How much would it cost to deepen a/the wells? you could get several households to pay for the cost of deepening one or more of the wells and distribute the water via a smaller, truck mountable tank
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:57 -0400:

The fire hydrant would likely fill the tank on the truck, but, the homeowner water tanks are ten to fifteen (or so) feet up in the air, and some are on hills above the houses.
So, the pump is to get the water from the truck all the way up (maybe fifteen or twenty feet?) to the top of the water tank, which is the only ready-made opening.
On 6/28/2014 12:40 AM, DannyD. wrote:

"Now that you have read all the posts before replying to the posts, put your name on the top of the paper and turn it in."
Since houses all have electric (right?) you can use a HF or similar well pump. Since you figure to do this more than once, you can build a fill pipe or tap into the existing fill system, for your own use. Ideally, there is existing way they fill the tanks, from the well. You can put in a valve, to fill from the truck. Run an extension cord down two flight of stairs, and move the washing machine to get at the good electric socket behind the washing machine for each tank load of water. Could turn into good exercise.
I can see this turning into a major social event for the delivery guy, as it may take an hour (or more) to pump the truck tank to the house tank. Won't you please come in and tell me all about aunt Myrtle's lumbago? And how's Aunt Bee doing? Goober says hey.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/28/2014 07:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Especially if the husband is at work, the housewife has big jugs and the driver has a big hose.
There will be a hole lot of pumpin' for sure.
On 6/28/2014 9:12 AM, Chuck Finley wrote:

Driver has a thousand gallon tank, electric pump, and won't quit till he's empty. Hope she's 15 feet in the air, too.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
HomeGuy wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:48:00 -0400:

Everyone has 10,000 or 15,000 gallon tanks of water. Most have two or three large tanks. I don't think anyone doesn't have a tank or three.
So, that's where the water would be stored.
On 6/28/2014 12:41 AM, DannyD. wrote:> > Everyone has 10,000 or 15,000 gallon tanks of water. Most have two > or three large tanks. I don't think anyone doesn't have a tank or three. > > So, that's where the water would be stored. >
With that much capacity, you might look into a bigger delivery truck. I mean, if you had a 5,000 gal truck, you could split the water off, and deliver some water to two or three houses at same time. OTOH, 5,000 is a LOT of weight and would probably be the size of a semi trailer.
Would be nice to get the local FD out for relay pumping practice one day a month, and fill ALL the tanks and be done with it.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Pico Rico wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:01:57 -0700:

I had called this water service a while ago to fill my pool: Franks Water Service, 20915 Old Santa Cruz Highway, 408-353-1343
He told me to get someone else because he didn't deliver up the hills, but, he said it would cost about $4,000 to fill a 40,000 gallon pool.

Total of about 4 miles from end to end (as the crow flies).

Average of about five miles from the nearest San Jose Water Company fire hydrant to the residences. That's why everyone has their own well.

Actually it's by the month, but I just divided by 30 to get the daily cost. I didn't ask them at the San Jose Water Company what their shortest rental period is (I can call them Monday at 408-279-7835).

Some have horses, so they have trailers. I don't have any of that, and none have volunteered any equipment yet. Some have pickups, but, it's not farm land, so, most just have Lexus SUVs & Prius' sedans.
On 6/28/2014 12:46 AM, DannyD. wrote:

It sure presents a lot of challenge, for sure. I'd guess a few folks have those coolers with five gal jugs to put on top. Not perfect, but what you gong to do? Get a couple more jugs each time you go to town.
What does the FD do, with housing and no hydrants?
Would it be a fair guess, that the high mounted 10,000 gal tanks, you're supposed to fill them during the rainy season, if there is rain?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:17:03 -0400:

Five miles to the nearest hydrants.
Muni water is the same, but there isn't any access that I know of, other than through the hydrants.
Gordon Shumway wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:11:27 -0500:

I understand. There is apparently an "iron pipe" thread, and a "brass fire hose" thread.
I think. I'm not sure, but that will be a detail that must be considered when the trucking part is figured out.
All of us have what is called a "wharf hydrant" on our residences which is tied to the bottom 1/3 of the water tanks on the property.
It's the code for Santa Clara County that each house has their own fire hydrant, but these hydrants are tall skinny things, but I think the hose is the same as the smaller opening on the San Jose Water Company fire hydrants miles away.
On 6/28/2014 12:49 AM, DannyD. wrote:

That might provide the input, so you can put water into the tanks? I'd think that in case of fire, the FD would need to tap the resident tanks, for water.
--
.
Christopher A. Young