How to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

Page 2 of 4
I said one watt, not one megawatt.
Miniature isn't just for Japanese. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:32:54 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's where you keep yours'
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCGukq0_UHlg4Bu0U GbXxwnfh9zXAgPLe8g6WXxtmLHhMAs8g8
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:32:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On a.h.r, once, long ago, someone posted a link to an airline report (FAA?) that concluded the absolute finest mechanical diagnostic procedures on airplanes was a long hard visual look.
So, I don't disagree. The most important tool in the toolbox is a good pair of reading glasses (these days) and a bright light!
My camera broke, so, I may only have fuzzy cellphone pictures when I get there.
Sorry about the camera. Below your text is a comical list that went around the net some years ago. Gives you a few things to check. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:32:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On a.h.r, once, long ago, someone posted a link to an airline report (FAA?) that concluded the absolute finest mechanical diagnostic procedures on airplanes was a long hard visual look.
So, I don't disagree. The most important tool in the toolbox is a good pair of reading glasses (these days) and a bright light!
My camera broke, so, I may only have fuzzy cellphone pictures when I get there.
================================ ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem - Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement. Solution - Almost replaced left inside main tyre.
Problem - Test flight OK, except autoland very rough. Solution - Autoland not installed on this aircraft.
Problem - No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid. Solution - No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.
Problem - Something loose in cockpit. Solution - Something tightened in cockpit.
Problem - Dead bugs on windshield. Solution - Live bugs on backorder.
Problem - Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent. Solution - Cannot reproduce problem on ground.
Problem - Evidence of leak on right main landing gear. Solution - Evidence removed.
Problem - DME volume unbelievably loud. Solution - Volume set to more believable level.
Problem - Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick. Solution - That's what they are there for!
Problem - IFF inoperative. Solution - IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.
Problem - Suspected crack in windscreen. Solution - Suspect you're right.
Problem - Number 3 engine missing. Solution - Engine found on right wing after brief search.
Problem - Aircraft handles funny. Solution - Aircraft warned to "Straighten up, Fly Right, and Be Serious."
Problem - Target radar hums. Solution - Reprogrammed target radar with words.
Problem - Mouse in cockpit. Solution - Cat installed.
An earlier version of this list included the following items not appearing in the example quoted above: Defect: The autopilot doesn't. Action: IT DOES NOW.
Defect: Seat cushion in 13F smells rotten. Action: Fresh seat cushion on order.
Defect: Turn & slip indicator ball stuck in center during turns. Action: Congratulations. You just made your first coordinated turn!
Defect: Whining sound heard on engine shutdown. Action: Pilot removed from aircraft.
Defect: Pilot's clock inoperative. Action: Wound clock.
Defect: Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500 pounds. Action: Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300 pounds.
Defect: #2 ADF needle runs wild. Action: Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.
Defect: Unfamiliar noise coming from #2 engine. Action: Engine run for four hours. Noise now familiar.
Defect: Noise coming from #2 engine. Sounds like man with little hammer. Action: Took little hammer away from man in #2 engine.
Defect: Whining noise coming from #2 engine compartment. Action: Returned little hammer to man in #2 engine.
Defect: Flight attendant cold at altitude. Action: Ground checks OK.
Defect: 3 roaches in cabin. Action: 1 roach killed, 1 wounded, 1 got away.
Defect: Weather radar went ape! Action: Opened radar, let out ape, cleaned up mess!
On 07/15/2013 11:55 PM, Danny D. wrote:

It's toast... I'm surprised it's still working. If it's leaking out the bottom (and not running down the side which is less important) then the seal at the bottom of the actual disposal area has failed and that water is flowing through the electric motor. Just replaced one a few weeks ago that had those exact symptoms...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:49:41 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

You were right!
Apparently, it *was* only leaking from the side: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9315125119/
So, now I've inherited a working 1/2 horsepower motor (since I paid for the replacement, I kept the old parts).
I'm wondering if anyone has ever converted one of these to a bench grinder? Any suggestions for how to convert this motor into a bench grinder?
On 7/15/2013 11:55 PM, Danny D. wrote:

When my 20+ year-old disposal started leaking out of the bottom, it was due to a corrosion hole in the bottom of the case. Otherwise, it still was working perfectly. Got 3 more years of use from it by patching the hole with waterproof glue.
On 07-15-2013 23:55, Danny D. wrote:

When you say water is in the sink, that makes me think the stopper is in the sink, preventing water from getting into the unit. That in turn suggests that the ring inside the sink that the disposer mounts to is no longer completely sealed to the sink. This allows water to run down the outside of the unit and drip off the bottom, SEEMING to be coming out of the bottom.
--
Wes Groleau

There are more Baroque musicians than any other kind.
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:24:50 -0400, Wes Groleau wrote:

That might be the case here, as there was this rusty crack in the side of the old Emerson garbage disposal unit:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3743/9318010624_d216632fa4_o.gif
Who knows how or why this crack is there?
However, the fact the washing machine was backing up into the kitchen sink, tells me that the sink was filling with water because the drain pipes were clogged solid somewhere deep under the house.
I suspect the kitchen sink backing up filled the disposal unit with standing water - which - leaked profusely out this crack?
But I have no proof.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:03:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
I had verified the old Emerson garbage disposal leaked from the bottom while it was in place.
However, only after I removed it, did I realize it also leaked from a crack on the side!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/9315125119_ca08089d74_c.jpg
So, I think the leak *might* have been from this crack, and not from a seal inside the motor.
PS: I wonder if I can use this unit to turn it into a bench grinder?
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 07:03:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yes.

Thanks. I saw that plug, and knocked it out with a screwdriver and rubber mallet.
Thanks for letting me know, because I had never done this before - and - that's when I make the dumb mistakes.
One problem I had was the newer 3/4 HP garbage disposal motor was larger than the older 1/2 HP garbage disposal motor so the tube to that dishwasher connection needed to be longer.
But I didn't have one with me, and the stores were closed by the time I realized that it wasn't going to make it with the hose pushed fully onto the nipples.
So ... I'm embarrassed to say ... I cheated a bit, by moving the hose halfway on the nipples at each end, because I needed an extra inch of length.
Lesson learned: - Buy everything even if all you replace is the motor!
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:19:50 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I thought people made their dumb mistakes on the third time they did something.
The first time they're very careful and think about everything.
The second time they remember the first time and coast by on what they learned then.
The third time they're so sure of themselves, they miss something. Right?
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:36:37 -0400, micky wrote:

All too true. But, I seem to make dumb mistakes on all three tries. :)
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:24:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

It looks like a common radiator hose, hanging vertically from the upside-down Y coming out of the sink aerator, with one arm going to the dishwasher and the other arm going to this black hose.
There was a hose clamp on the top end of the black hose (onto one arm of the Y); and another hose clamp on the bottom end of the vertical black hose (onto the nipple of the disposal unit).
Both are only halfway on now. Yes, I "should" have replaced it.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:28:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

Thanks Oren,
I *did* buy an extra $14.50 power cord, and, you are wholly correct (as always when it comes to huckleberries) that the new garbage disposal comes with almost everything *but* the cord.
Since there was nothing wrong with the old cord, and, since I was paying (as a favor to my friend), I saved $15 by bringing wire nuts with me, which is the only "extra* I needed for the wires.
In addition, these things come with a three pronged plug but you can't tell which is the neutral. So, luckily, I had brought with me a DMM so I could easily tell which was the neutral. Dunno if it mattered.
One miserable thing was that I couldn't figure out HOW to remove the old snap ring! In the end, I banged and pulled and twisted and banged some more - which destroyed the old caulked water-tight connection.
Luckily, the new garbage disposal unit came with a new twist-on connector for the sink, so I used the putty I bought and made it all new again.
Snap quiz: Q: Can you see the snap ring opening in this picture?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/9317985026_aa366b4a45_o.gif
Hint: I looked at it, while it was still in place, with a flashlight, spending fifteen minutes, before banging it off in sheer frustration. (This was the hardest part of the entire job - just finding where the snap ring ends were! And, of course, I ruined the whole setup.)
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:36:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

Actually, the snap ring is a 1/16" (or so) thick steel wire formed in a ring. There's almost no way to see or feel where the two ends meet.
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:36:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

That hex-shaped tool was very useful for twisting the hole unit to lock it into place.

Are we talking about the same snap ring?
The snap ring had to be pried out with a thin 1/8" screwdriver, simply because it's like a "c" clip, only with it really being an "o" clip because there was no visible end where the two ends met.
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:01:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

This picture shows the problematic snap ring removed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9329893219/sizes/o/in/photostream/
Only after I had destroyed the mount, did I realize this is how to properly remove that snap ring (which, you have to know about ahead of time!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9332689226/sizes/o/in/photostream/
Even in perfect sunlight, you can barely tell where the end of the snapring lies (and certainly it's impossible to see while under the cabinet): http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9329893035/sizes/o/in/photostream/
NOTE: I'm not sure *how* to quote Flickr pictures, as they seem to have multiple URLs, so let me know if these aren't the right ones to quote.
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:01:56 -0700, Oren wrote:

Here is an arrow and a comment showing the snap ring: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9332807008/sizes/o/in/photostream/
The problem is that you (a) have to know it's there, and (b) you have to be able to see it, and (c) you need to find the ends, which is really impossible given the low-light conditions you have under the sink (even with a flashlight) especially on a snap ring that is 10 years old.
If it hadn't been for this snap ring, I would have had the garbage disposal repaired in 1/10th the time that it took.
In hindsight though, I should have left everything in place.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 06:42:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yup.
My mistake was not realizing that.
So, once I unscrewed the three set bolts, and started trying to take the drain opening apart, the caulking got destroyed, and, then I was committed to replacing the whole thing.
Lesson learned.
On 07/21/2013 10:19 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Actually that probably isn't caulking, but plumber's putty, and a tub of that is cheap.
nate