How to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

Page 1 of 4
I have a friend who just called me asking for help with her garbage disposal leaking out the bottom.
I have never dealt with them, but, I asked her to read the label and she said it was an "Emerson Evergrind E202 1/2 HP" unit.
She said it's leaking out the bottom, even when not in use (but when water is in the sink).
I'll see if I can stop by her house tomorrow - but - so that I'm armed with some knowledge, have you any idea what to look for?
PS: This is the same sink that I had put the Fernco on a year or so ago, but that's the *other* sink in her side-by-side sinks (the left sink main drain has the fernco, and, it's apparently water tight - while the right one has the garbage disposal which is apparently now leaking).
Any idea how to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?
"Danny D." wrote in message
I have a friend who just called me asking for help with her garbage disposal leaking out the bottom.
I have never dealt with them, but, I asked her to read the label and she said it was an "Emerson Evergrind E202 1/2 HP" unit.
She said it's leaking out the bottom, even when not in use (but when water is in the sink).
I'll see if I can stop by her house tomorrow - but - so that I'm armed with some knowledge, have you any idea what to look for?
PS: This is the same sink that I had put the Fernco on a year or so ago, but that's the *other* sink in her side-by-side sinks (the left sink main drain has the fernco, and, it's apparently water tight - while the right one has the garbage disposal which is apparently now leaking).
Any idea how to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?
The seal under the disk with the (grinder) ears is bad. Therefore the water has also gone through the upper and lower motor bearings. Time to toss it. WW
WW wrote:

Hi, Concur. How old is it?
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:27:59 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

I didn't think to ask - but the kitchen was remodeled in 2000 or 2001 or 2002 from what I remember (from the last time I worked on it).
So, I'd say 10 years.
BTW, I'm watching these "Girl with Wrench" plumbing videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uztuEg9LSk

They're kinda long (7 five-minute vids for a garbage disposal; but the videos have a couple added attractions to keep you interested).
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 06:05:55 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Time for a new one.
I got mine on line at www.abt.com and saved a lot of money over local stores. Saved about $100 on my Kitchen Aid.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 05:50:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The current is Emerson, 1/2 HP. I would tend to get her a good brand and high horsepower? Would 3/4 HP be a good idea? And, is Kitchen Aid a good brand?
EDIT: Googling for the same questions, I found this: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/garbage-disposers.htm
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:03:26 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Wow. CR is getting worse and worse. It used to be great; but, that "buying guide" was nearly worthless. http://consumerreports.org/cro/garbage-disposers/buying-guide.htm
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:03:26 AM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

At this point KitchenAid is only a name owned by Whirlpool...there is still a Hobart though (the original makers)!
Bob_Villa wrote:

Hi, Any how when ours was getting old(dull blades, getting noisier) I found a SS version direct replacement. Drop old one mount new one, done in less than 1 hour) ISE model. Upgraded from 1/2 to 3/4 Hp one.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 09:09:44 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

The $200 3/4HP ACE 5000 that I bought says, on the box, that it has a "stainless steel grind system": http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9317870658/
This writeup says it has stainless steel "elements": http://hardwaredistributors.com/disposer-food-3-4-hp.html
What is a stainless steel "grind system" or "elements" anyway? Does it matter?
tOn Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:03:26 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

KA, InSinkErator and Whilrpool are all part of the same company now. Good brands. My last KA was about 25 years old when I replaced it. I have a batch feed and that has been my preference for many years.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:35:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I bought the $100 1/2 HP and the $180 3/4 HP ACE Hardware Model 5000 garbage disposal.
Once there, I asked her a few questions, and, since she uses it a lot, I installed the much bigger 3/4 HP one, with all new mounting hardware.
I don't know what "brand" it really is though.
I didn't have a camera with me (mine broke), so, here's a picture of what I bought next to what I replaced, for reference:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/9317870658_c861754e0a_z.jpg
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 03:55:06 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Make sure it's leaking out the bottom, and not from the outlet for the water that goes to the drain. That water might run down the side of the disposal and make it look like it's leaking out the bottom.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:11:58 -0400, micky wrote:

I understand. She said it was leaking out the bottom, but, I'll bring a flashlight and look for myself.
I started listing what I'll need to bring ... Basic wrenches & pliers (large) allen wrenches Camera, flashlight Garbage disposal towels & gloves coat hanger & wire cutter wire nuts & romex connector & wire pliers screwdrivers & hose clamps plumbers putty for flange socket wrenches hacksaw & sandpaper and angle grinder channellocks & pipe wrench level voltmeter electrical tape stripper pipe dope knee pads long backed shirt pot and pans from garage & bbq hammer & prybar and straight rod (for pounding) strap wrench tape measure & marker electrical dialectric grease
As you can see, the job involves several trades.
Plumber Carpenter Electrician Wrench mechanic Tools to include should also be dish pan, and turkey baster for moving water. Couple big towels to mop up the water, and a fan to dry it out. On this job, I'd bring along something to lay on. Carpet sample, or camping closed cell foam pad. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I'll bring a flashlight and look for myself.
I started listing what I'll need to bring ... Basic wrenches & pliers (large) allen wrenches Camera, flashlight Garbage disposal towels & gloves coat hanger & wire cutter wire nuts & romex connector & wire pliers screwdrivers & hose clamps plumbers putty for flange socket wrenches hacksaw & sandpaper and angle grinder channellocks & pipe wrench level voltmeter electrical tape stripper pipe dope knee pads long backed shirt pot and pans from garage & bbq hammer & prybar and straight rod (for pounding) strap wrench tape measure & marker electrical dialectric grease
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:04:15 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Don't get bothered if you don't need all these things. The disposal is likely made by In-Sink-Erator, since about 90% of disposals in Amerca are, under one name or another, Everything that follows applies only if it's made by insinkerator.
Removing and replacing it should only require a medium phillips, and something to separate the right angle drain pipe (that you'll unscrew from the disposal) from the rest of the drain.
After the wires and the drain are disconnected, a short counter-clockwise turn (from the pov of the floor) will release the disposal and let it fall down. If this is hard to do, you can put medium or large phillips screwdrivers in one or two of horizontal steel tubes at the top of the disposal, just below the sink. That will give you some leverage. I suppose if you use cheap screwdrivers they'll break. Or use that rod you said you would bring.
The ring on the sink can be used over and over again, even though each new disposal comes with another ring.
The older I get the harder up the new one and hold it in place while I turn it clockwise. That's become the hardest part. I actually use a small floor jack (the one that look a bit like an alligator, with a handle that sticks back, like a tail. ) to hold the disposal in place.
If there is enough room, (almost?) all models and all brand names of insinkerator will fit in the same sink bracket.
On Monday, July 15, 2013 11:55:06 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

Get under there with a flashlight and look?
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 04:57:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I was just asking proactively, before I got there, as I have never worked on a garbage disposal before.
If it's bad, I'm leaning toward adding horsepower, but I'd have to check for fit.
But, I do agree: The absolute most powerful diagnostic procedure is five minutes with a flashlight.
Probably the most important tool in my box is my mini mag with the one watt Teralux module. And it's not even in my tool box, carry it in my trouser pocket. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
But, I do agree: The absolute most powerful diagnostic procedure is five minutes with a flashlight.
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:32:54 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's where you keep yours'
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCGukq0_UHlg4Bu0UGbXxwnfh9zXAgPLe8g6WXxtmLHhMAs8g8