How to Tighten Front Door

My front door doesn't close as tightly as it should. Spiders keep crawling inside through the small gaps. I can push the door in about

1/4". There is weather stripping around the door, but I would like the door to shut tight. During the day I can see sunlight shining through the gaps.

Anyway, I am wondering how to make it so the door shuts tight. Is there a way to adjust the plate so that the door "nub" sits further in so that the door sits tight? I would rather not have to redrill, but I will if I have to. It's just that if I drill two more holes, the holes will be too close together and I may ruin the door jamb.

I'm hoping there is some type of face plate with matching holes, but is shifted so that the door "nub" will rest closer in.

Sorry for the vague explanation. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Mathussic

Is the door steel? If yes look for magnetic weather stripping like they use on refrigerators. As for the bottom look for weather stripping that is U shaped to fit over the bottom and has multiple strips hanging down to provide a seal.

Reply to
Art

some doors come with adjustable strike plates. however, i haven't seen them sold individually, but they may be. to move the existing one, you want to cut some splinters of wood and glue them into the existing holes. 1/8 dowels might work too. then you can drill the new holes right next to the old holes..

Reply to
marson

I have, though not recently. Look in the door lock department.

Reply to
mm