How to 'tighten' an exterior door?

Page 2 of 3

Thanks, will look and let people know.
I didn't see any such tab on first cursory exam, but then again, wasn't looking for it per se. Amazing what one can find when they actually LOOK for it.

I don't know how to inform everone at once with this news server, so....simply reply to myself may get the information out to all you kind contributers:
The strike plate does NOT appear worn. It is mounted firmly in the sill.And, does have a small metal tab that could be bent outwords to catch the bolt [or whatever its name] forcing the door tighter. However, that tab appears to be for a different function than to provide an 'adjustment' It appearsto be part of the stable mounting for the strike plate.
However, I did notice on the bolt's mating side there appears to be a strip of nylon-type material. That would quiet the door, provide self lubrication, BUT! it appears to be worn down a bit. Not sure it's worn down enough to justify the gap I see, but possibly.
So *if* I glue a strip of nylon along the top of the bolt, could be done?
I'd still rather add metal to the strike plate instead. Especially since it has that tab to give a large flat surface as a place for the shim metal to mount on top of.
Robert Macy wrote:

The function of the strike plate is to push the bolt in to clear the jamb until such time as it can go *SPRONG* and seat itself in the hole.

Make it as hard and complicated as you want. Me, I'd just bend the furshlugginer tab, that's what it is for. And I would have done it two days ago,
--

dadiOH
____________________________

.....no......
Will try now that EVERYBODY seems to be bashing me about the head and shoulders for NOT trying.
What's in the video?
Robert Macy wrote:

Why didn't you just look?
Several minutes of a guy showing how to do a dirt simple thing; namely, bend the tab in a strike plate. I suspect it is intended mostly for those who have not yet figured out how to wipe their own ass.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Oren wrote:

Well, certainy not me :)
I just try to gently guide people into taking some sort of action to solve their crisis. OK, sometimes it takes a nudge, especially when OP has been told repeatedly by both thee and me what to do and how to do it. In this case the nudge was a bit firmer than normal :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Oren, I think I recall, you had excellent comments.
This stucco has tiny little spikes, which would be a nightmare to roll paint onto and get coverage, plus, I've fought roller overlap marks like I'm fighting the brush overlap marks. Changing to roller painting seemed like changing one problem for another and still not get the effect I wanted.
I did not refuse to post images, but simply had no way to post images. If you can, I will gladly send them to you, approximately 35kB to 200kB sizes, not those 4MB humongous photos. which you could either view for yourself or post for others.

There are numerous photo hosting sites that allow you upload your jpg images for free and then provide a direct link that you can post back here. Many also includes img links so that you can embed photos in posts at forums that allow that (not a.h.r).
I use PhotoBucket, but there are many others, some better, some worse.
For example, here is a link to an image that I used for a question I posted in this group a while back.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg

That URL took me to what appeared to be a promised photo, spent 3 minutes filling in info about signing in etc for photobucket, but even after 10 minutes no picture appeared. After visiting websites like this I have to purge my system of superflous unseen files and delete a lot of spyware type cookies. So, I don't like to visit these website unless there's a real need. Since I have so many problems just viewing an image, I hate to think what would happen if I actually signed up to post an image.
I know more detail than you wanted, but that is why I have so much difficulty finding a way to post an image. As I said, gladly send to someone whose an ongoing contributor to such sites, let them post for me, and then help would of course be better quality. Or, is there an image posting website that limits intrusion into your system while posting and viewing? Or, is such a 'benevolent' website out of the question today?
On 2/10/2013 9:47 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

I don't understand the problem you had trying to view the image, I use the Firefox like browser Pale Moon and the image popped right up without any drama, just the image and nothing else. What web browser are you using? O_o
TDD
On Feb 10, 9:24 am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

Opera 9.64
On 2/10/2013 11:18 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

I think I have Opera installed, I have a dozen different ones to play with so I'll try it in Opera and see what happens. ^_^
TDD

I tried it in my Opera which is ver 12.12 and it acted as you described. I don't use Opera as my regular browser so I have limited user experience with it and such odd behavior. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Doesn't work for me either with Opera. All I get is a grey area where the picture should be. Loads fine with IE6.
I'm guessing that the problem with Opera, maybe with Macy too, is that your site totally changes the URL...
Your URL was...
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg
The site shows this URL after the page loads (sans picture)... http://s440.beta.photobucket.com/user/DerbyDad03/media/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg.html
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/10/2013 3:21 PM, dadiOH wrote:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg

http://s440.beta.photobucket.com/user/DerbyDad03/media/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg.html

I have a version of Opera loaded on my system too and it did the same thing when I tried it. I just don't use Opera every day, I use a Mozilla based browser called Pale Moon. It's like Firefox but optimized for the Windows OS. ^_^
TDD

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg

http://s440.beta.photobucket.com/user/DerbyDad03/media/photobucket-39505-1350182735166.jpg.html I'm not sure that that's the problem.
I just tried both my .jpg link and the .jpg.html link on my iPad via my newsreader app and via the Safari browser. I also tried them on my Windows machine using Google Groups on FireFox and IE6 as well as via the newsreader provided with Thunderbird.
Basically what I mean is that I accessed your post in a.h.r via all those different methods and clicked on the links.
Both links work just fine on my iPad and Windows machine no matter what I use to access them. I see the picture of me using my trusty HF MF tool to cut a hole in a soffit.
The difference is that Firefox changes the .jpg URL to the .jpg.html URL and brings up a Photobucket page with the image and a bunch of Photobucket stuff, while IE just displays the jpg by itself when I use the .jpg link. Safari also just displays the jpg when the .jpg link is used.
However, as I said, in all cases I do see the image.

I don't know what Issues you are having, but anyone should be able to either click on that link or paste it into any web browser's address bar and go directly to the image.
I use that site all the time and no one has ever complained about access to the images. They've seen them, commented on them, etc.
I just entered that URL manually into the address bar on an iPad that has no connection to any of my userid's and the image pop right up. No signing in required. The problem appears to be on your end, not with the link.

Also known as "presenting to the least common denominator".
On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:48:46 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:

Good. It's about time.
Maybe you can provide some insight into this: Why do people always come up with the most complicated, contrived, nonsensical, physics-bending, expensive solutions to simple problems?
You've got an extremely simple problem that has two simple inexpensive solutions:
1. Bend the effing tab. 2. Replace the effing weatherstripping.
You've spent more time analyzing and coming up wacky reasons why this happened and wacky ways to fix it than it would've taken to implement either of these common, accepted, solutions to a common problem.
For some reason it starts with a simple leaky door seal and the solution escalates and escalates and escalates until you're knocking down the house with a bulldozer and building new! All over a simple leaky door seal!
Please, can you explain your thought process and how you come to the conclusion that your convoluted solutions are better than the simple solutions offered by this group?
On Feb 7, 2:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

...and to save some money, the old door will be retained and installed in the new house.