How to thaw a frozen septic

Bought a cottage late this past fall. The previous owner had uncovered the septic system - I think so prospective purchasers could inspect it. We were only at the place once before the snow fell and never noticed it was open to the elements. This past weekend we went up and quickly found out that the plumbing was blocked. A bit of investigation brought me to the tank. Since it was uncovered I was able to open it up - it is like an ice cube.
Any thoughts on thawing it out? Someone has suggested using a steam pressure washer. Another idea is a immersion or bucket heater of some type.
On 2 Apr 2007 20:33:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Have never done this at all, but... pots of boiling water? A garden hose from the kitchen sink with hot water?
Or just cover it up and wait for it to get back to the temp it would have been if had never been uncovered? If it wouldn't have been frozen now had it not been uncovered, it will reach that same temperature, I would guess, in 3 or 4 days. And then it won't be frozen. But again, I'm just guessing. No experience.
Where are you located?
Either wait or use lots and lots of hot water.
I'd drain the hot water heater into the commode and also bucket it out to the septic tank and every other place that might be iced up. Repeat.
Of course, only do this when the temp remains above freezing.

I would think since you can see into it; then a bag of salt de-icer or something similiar put into the septic and then covered.would do the trick........but like others......no experience.

I would be careful about the salt idea. Septic systems work because the microbes digest the solid matter and if you muck up the chemistry the solids stay solid and your system clogs up.
I think the porta potty and waiting for the thaw is your best bet.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:19:48 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"

A weed burner would probably work, too.

Not if something cracks from the heat change, like the tank!

Agreed!
On Apr 2, 10:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Since spring is here it makes sense to wait since from what I know you can't do anything anyway. I live in Northern Minnesota where the ground freezes deep and hard. Luckily I haven't had this problem but I know that when it happens to someone here they either switch to an outhouse or the bucket method. People who don't care for those solutions just call in a porta potty.
On 2 Apr 2007 20:33:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Elemental sodium. It's the only solution.
Use small doses.
On 2 Apr 2007 20:33:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Take your wife in there and get naked. Have HOT passionate sex. The sexual heat will unthaw it.
On Apr 4, 1:14 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

LOL! The way my certain parts of my anatomy respond to cold, I don't think it'd be possible. I wonder how the eskimo's handle that problem? -KC

Amazing what you read here! Why didn't you ask why they uncovered it, and why didn't you cover it back up! The mean ground temperature here in western pa. is 49 degrees, depending on where you are, it might be about the same../. cover it up and it will defrost!>