How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

Page 8 of 9
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 22:12:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Do folks have a recommended thermostat to use as a replacement?
If I had one that I could program to turn on just before we wake up and go on just before we go to bed, that would be nice.

This is interesting. Again, we will (from now on) be "gentle" with the thermostat. That means instead of turning it on or off, we'll just move the dial to lower or higher temperatures.

Heh heh... I like *that* idea!

$50 bucks or so would do it. I would recommend my model, but it is discontinued.
Checking around gives you primarily Honeywell. Hmmm, their high end stuff is good, but...$$$
I have never used their cheapostats.
I could offer you a good deal on my spare Honeywell, but I don't think you need multi-zones/damper controls. :-)
On 12/13/2013 11:01 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Most electronic replacement thermostats are very versatile and will operate on most systems except for the oddball proprietary systems. You can get a programmable thermostat at any of the big box stores that operate on either batteries or the 24vac from the furnace. If you like, get a cheap one and experiment with it. ^_^

Programmable thermostats usually have automatic setback and run based on time of day. I would recommend you do some reading and choose one with a program you can easily understand. ^_^

I know guys who've installed them in a closet and left the old one on the wall. My roommate wouldn't quit screwing with the thermostat on the small window unit we have in the living room so I jumpered the connections to the darn thing the last time we removed t from the window for cleaning and repair. I couldn't get him to understand that the little unit would not cool the house like the central AC system and that the little unit would work as a dehumidifier if it was left on with the compressor running. With the compressor off, it was just a noise maker. Some folks are hard headed. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 05:01:25 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

It's certainly not cheap, but I have a Nest (need another one). The instructions (online) are very good and if you need help, they're very responsive.
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:41:43 -0500, krw wrote:

I had never heard of "Nest"; but their stuff looks neat! http://www.poplarnetwork.com/news/nest-thermostat-just-got-smarter-partnering-energy-providers
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:49:13 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 17:24:51 -0500, krw wrote:

Wow. It learns. You just use it like you do the regular thermostat, and, it learns what to do.
It seems too good to be true.
Danny D'Amico wrote:

It has AI logic so it can learn the pattern of heat/cool cycles after a while.

Your wife would short the thing out! :-)

Yep! I bought mine when after we left our other house. It was empty all last Winter so wanted to keep tabs on the house. We left the Internet connected so I could monitor the house temperature and bump up on the really cold[*] nights.
After using one, the thing that sold me on the Nest was the ability to control the second-stage heat. Since no one was living there, I didn't care about recovery time so turned off the second stage unless it took more than two hours to recover. If it's that cold, the second stage was needed. This control (and WiFi remote) completely sold me on the Nest. However, I haven't sprung for the second one for the main floor, here.
[*] Well, it's in East-Central Alabama, so I guess not so "really cold". ;-)
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:24:04 -0500, krw wrote:

What's a second-stage heat?
Googling for 'second stage heat', I find it's apparently related to heat pumps.
So, I guess I don't have that (since I never saw a heat pump in my life).
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 23:48:48 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

Heat pumps often have two "stages" of compressor or a resistive heating element for very cold weather. When this kicks in, the power meter goes into turbo-$ mode. Some thermostats kick in the second stage if the delta-t is two degrees or more. Not good, in most cases.

Yes.

Amazing. It's not just a Southern thing, though the electric rates (and the need for AC anyway) down here make them very attractive. My brother, when he was in N. Philly, had one in his house.
Danny D'Amico wrote:

Heat pump or forced air furnace or air conditioner has multi stage ones.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Now you are leading him to another disaster programming new 'stst?, LOL! Simple mind learns better and quick I observed it all the time during my days as voluteer instructor for apprenticeship board. I used to teach would be journeyman mechanics electric/electronic basics.

Hmmm, I wonder if you were anything like my Iranian instructor... :-)
Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Was he teaching you? What was he teaching?

Yes. Electronic repair. That was eons ago (for me), back in high-school.
Good ol' Ali Heshmati. I ran into him a few times after I graduated, and all he did was complain about his wife. :-)
On 12/13/2013 11:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hey, let the kid learn by doing. A famous man said something to the effect, "Experience is a fool's best teacher." I'm a fool because I learned by burning up a lot of equipment. ^_^
TDD
On Friday, December 13, 2013 11:12:19 PM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's a good point that I never thought of before. And now that I think about it, you would think they would just have put the delay into the HVAC eqpt to begin with. I guess the other side of the argument is that if it was so bad for the compressors, you would think a lot of them would have failed in the days of old. I wonder what they actually did? Did they manage to start anyway or did they have an overload that kicked out and recycled like refrigerators had?

My guess is in old days equipment was more crude and pressure in the system was not as high as now. Many programmable 'stats have settings regarding this in their service mode menu. Also they have AI logic as well. That is why set up menu first asks what kinda system it is connected to. Electrical, NG, forced air, heap pump, how many stages, etc. Need to answer all this to run the system properly.
One of my store is in a new LEED spec. building. They installed fancy high efficiency roof top unit by Lennox. The guy who installed it was having difficulty setting up the 'stat to match the system saying first time he installed this type system. I told him don't worry. I set it up and programmed set back times for heating/cooling every day of the week. Honeywell made ;stat has some unique features added to it for Lennox.