How to test a wall thermostat to see if it's actually working?

Page 5 of 9
On 12/10/2013 11:18 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

How are you heating, now, with the furnace broken?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 08:00:17 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

California weather is so moderate that you can live the entire year sans hear or air conditioning ...
It's only around 32 degrees for a very short while, just a few hours in the early morning; and then it's back up to 50 or 60 during the day.
We don't even drain the garden hoses ...
On 12/11/2013 10:15 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:27:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah. They call taxes "fees" out here so that they don't need a super majority to pass them. The people out here are too stupid (politically) to even notice.
They outlaw basically everything; again, the people here are too stupid to notice.
It's a weird state - but - the weather is excellent - if we could just get rid of the politically dumb inhabitants.... :)
On 12/11/2013 7:29 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Are illegal Mexicans a protected class, there?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:05:40 -0500, Rick wrote:

Ah. That must be this thing:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/11315212966_6c04b85a9f_o.gif
The funny thing is that the PDF didn't say what caused the igniter to start snapping. I guess I'll read the PDF again ...
Ah ... found it... It must be the thing called the "pilot igniter".
Here's what the PDF says about it: "When the thermostat calls for heat, the control circuit is closed between the terminals R and W. Power from transformer TRAN through fusible link FL, limit switch LS, and vent safety shut-off switch VSSS, energizes the pilot valve part of automatic gas valve GV and *pilot igniter PI*. The pilot valve opens, permitting gas flow to the pilot burner where it is ignited.
So, I guess that snapping was from the "pilot igniter".

The schematic should be attached to the inside of one of the covers on the furnace.....
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:57:30 -0500, Rick wrote:

It is. There are actually *two schematics* on that inside cover. I'm not sure how this lockout timer module works; but it might be the culprit:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/11312983254_ab27d0a8ef_o.gif
Otherwise, this is the schematic:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2863/11313024713_51ef8ce342_o.gif
Danny D'Amico has brought this to us :

Two things. The timer is there to set delays between various operatins and you will be very confused if you expect things to happen immediatly whenever the conditions change.
The Thermostat must always be mounted as though it was on the wall so that the mercury switches will operate correctly.
--
John G

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:44:56 +1100, John G wrote:

This is very interesting.
My wife constantly turns the thermostat off and back on.
Should we be more, shall I say, "graceful" about adjusting the thermostat?h
On 12/11/2013 12:07 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Replace wife. Problem solved.
Get the brand new, high efficiency wife. Works in the cold, uses 30% less power, leaves toilet seat up, never runs out of milk or sugar, and is EPA compliant for ozone emissions.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Best add "makes a sandwich" and brings a "beer".
On 12/10/2013 02:04 PM, John Grabowski wrote:

Yep, not likely to be anything wrong with the thermostat.
May be a s simple is the furnace switch is turned off.
It could also be the ignitor if the furnace starts to energize but goes no further.
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:54:54 -0600, philo wrote:

Ignitor?
I need a quick lesson on the parts of a furnace ... and what they do, before I can diagnose or fix anything! :(
At first, I thought "this" was what you call the "igniter":
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/11315204683_458e651e36_o.gif
But, this youtube video calls that a "3-wire pilot assembly":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFoVcYpq1p8

Following the red "high tension lead", that video calls this black box the "spark igniter" (is what you meant?):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/11315212966_6c04b85a9f_o.gif
This is clearly what that video calls the "gas valve":
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/11315269874_54fbde6523_o.gif
This isn't in the video, but, it's clearly some sort of fusible link and something called a "lockout timer":
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/11315342803_5356224304_o.gif
The brown board with the fusible link attached has two wires that go upward to this thing (is it a sensor?), which, unfortunately, wasn't described in the video:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/11315574703_f10de1c8bd_o.gif
This compartment was held shut with a 1/4" sheet-metal screw:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/11315391333_02351134b4_o.gif
Below that compartment was this set of terminals (I recognize those wire colors as the same as those of the thermostat):
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2849/11315437344_17e7793ca9_o.gif
To the right of the terminals, this 3Amp fuse tested good:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/11315352135_59c03444e1_o.gif
Inside the box was what the video named a "fan control board":
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/11315520763_a1bf7cb9e1_o.gif
And, I observed the basic stuff, such as this door safety switch (which I taped tightly to keep in the on position):
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/11315520045_9e1f88de9a_o.gif
This is the on/off switch for the gas, which remains on:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/11315367933_eb4cc8b179_o.gif
The 16x25x1 3M filter was surprisingly clean:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/11315620166_f17ba0ef50_o.gif
Googling, I found there usually is an on/off switch on the side of the furnace where the power comes in. Mine doesn't seem to have that switch; the power wires go right inside the furnace from outside without a switch.
So now that I've identified "most" of the parts (I'm not sure what the purpose of the lockout timer and that sensor thing are), it's time for me to figure out what/how to test and debug the thing...
On 12/10/2013 6:54 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

you're having fun, but you really need to call the man.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Wonder if he's related to Stryped..... .
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:00:54 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think the lockout timer and spark ignitor are two different things:
Here is the spark igniter (I think):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/11315212966_6c04b85a9f_o.gif
Here is the lockout timer (I'm sure - because it says so):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/11315342803_5356224304_o.gif
The PDF doesn't describe the lockout timer; but there is a schematic pasted on the inside of the furnace door that purports to describe it:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5518/11312983254_ab27d0a8ef_o.gif
I'm still not sure how it works though - but maybe it is the culprit...

I'm getting close because, for a while, tonight, it was all working:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/11318411706_f7ceb36cd5_o.gif
But, then it stopped as soon as I accidentally allowed the door switch to spring open (I bumped it while trying to measure voltages).
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:55:24 -0800, Oren wrote:

I was wondering where you were!
Normally, your huckleberries are spot on the mark!
Luckily, with the team's help, the problem is resolved! (I think.)
It's running now ... after I pulled the plug (yes, it has a plug) and then disconnected *every* wire and cleaned them up and reassembled them (one by one, so as not to make a mistake).
I blew compressed air around everything; and I tapped with a screwdriver on all the relays (I guess for good luck as much as anything else).
Wouldn't you know it ... the darn thing is now working!
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/11328057733_5767c99f78_o.gif
Will update in a couple of days, to see if it *stays* working!
(Reminder to self: Tell wife to stop shutting it off and on constantly!)
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:20:35 -0800, Oren wrote:

Well, she's running hot now:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/11327898655_e38c974a9b_o.gif
On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:52:09 -0800, Oren wrote:

Hmmm... I have no idea what an efficient flame looks like. Am I supposed to adjust the flame somehow?