how to tell if supporting wall?

Page 2 of 2

Channeling the thoughts of Matt Morgan.
Why don't you remove the wall and see if the building falls down. If it doesn't then you are good to go.
snipped-for-privacy@the.home wrote:
wrote:

sink from

ceiling
How long do you need to wait to be SURE???? (-;
Joe
As Rob said, if the wall runs perpendicular to the joists, then it is *probably* not a bearing wall. However, you need to be sure that it's not before you take it out. There is one wall in our house that runs perpendicular to the joists that *is* a bearing wall, and it's not obviously as bearing wall with at a quick glance.
Check with a stuctural engineer engineer if you are not sure.
Ken

Uh, I think you meant to say 'parallel' here, not perpendicular (ie, the joists cross over the wall.) I do strongly agree about getting an engineer, or at least a compentent carpenter, in to take an eyeball look in the attic and in the bathroom. The mere fact that OP has to ask the question means that he is really in over his head. Not a flame, everyone has to start learning somewhere. Residential framing ain't rocket science, but you do need to know what you are doing. In a typical rectangular house, the only critical bearing walls are usually the outside walls and the one down the middle, but there are always exceptions. Add an 'L' or a second story, and you pretty much have to eyeball things to be sure what is going on.
aem sends...
ameijers wrote:

is
it's
runs
the
Oops, you're right, I did mean to say we have one 'parallel' that is not readily apparent that it is a bearnig wall.
Ken