How to tell if audio equipment is 110V or 220V?

I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V... Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only thing I have is a Voltmeter. Thanks!

Reply to
Lucky

The plug should be a give-away.

Reply to
Toller

Usually there's a slide switch near the ac cord entering the deck saying

110/220. At any rate, put a 110 plug on it and plug it into the 110 outlet. If 110, should work normally. If wired for 220, any incandescant lamps will be *very* dim. (like the vu-meters). You're not going to hurt a 220 deck by plugging it into 110.

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

You could try it on 110V and see if it works.

Reply to
CJT

What type of connection or plug is on it? If a standard type plug, probably

110
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If he had "converted" it, it would be easy to work out. If it didn't have a

220Vtransformer, he'd have to install one. The solder joints would be a giveaway.

Lots of trolls patrol these waters....

Reply to
glenn P

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on location. Thailand, for one, uses a two prong plug that looks like a standard U.S. item, but is used with 220 volts. Hong Kong uses many different plug types with 220v, one of which is the same

2-prong style. I think, if memory serves, that Myannmar, Laos and perhaps Malaysia are the same -- Regards --
Reply to
JimR

----- Original Message ----- From: "glenn P"

Not likely. For many years most voltage conversion is done by changing taps on the line transformer. Either by a switch or on older gear, solder connections. No tranformer change.

Real cheap electronics might have a 220 v tranformer, but a tape deck would probably have a 110/220 v transformer.

lee h

Reply to
lee houston