How to take out a bathtub and prepare floor for walk-in shower

On Dec. 12th I am having surgery on my leg and I will not be able to get into the bathtub to take a shower. actually I haven't taken a shower in years because of my arthritis. I live in A duplex owned by my daughter and would like to have some idea it this is major work that will cost alot of money. The shower is already there, I just don't know about the rest. I live in The Colony, Texas by Dallas . What should I do? I'm new here and have no idea what I need - s plumber? or really just someone I trust or could my daughter and her husband possibly do this them selves. It's a very small bathroom. THank You, Sharon Hallman
First,
For your own safety, please don't use your real first/last name or tell exactly where you live.
Your question is a little confusing, but if you don't own the duplex you should not do major remodeling on it. Your landlord (your daughter) should be able to do the work or arrange for the work to be done for you. It can be a job converting showers to bathtubs or vice-versa and it's not a job for you. I am also concerned that a 'plumber' might take advantage of you. Please discuss your needs frankly with your daughter and son-in-law and see what they have to say about it.
Jeff schallman wrote:

This is a fairly large project. Bathtubs, if older, are usually made from ultra heavy cast iron which is a pretty big chore to remove. Putting in a shower stall is pretty straight forward if you buy a pre-assembled white fiberglass unit. If a 36" or 32" square doesn't fit though, you're gonna have to build a custom shower stall with tile, plastic, mortar and a LOT of time.
These things are all something a very determined do-it-yourselfer could accomplish, but you are renting after all, and such things as bathroom remodels are usually in the interest of the landlord as they increase the amount they can rent the place for in the future.
I really don't understand why you want to take out the tub and put in a shower stall though. You mentioned arthritis, but I thought submersing oneself in warm water was soothing for such a condition.
Correct me where I went wrong.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:53:32 -0600, "schallman"

http://www.independentlivingusa.com/OnlineShowroom.html
If so, google < bathtub "walk in" > and take your pick or look for other solutions
Or, it could be something as simple as the installation of a couple of grab bars to help you navigate, plus a wall-mounted hand held "shower" hose
Please don't think that you have a medical condition is some kind of special consideration. In my experience, I had a tenant on a respirator with an electrical problem. The estimator (who charged me $340 for his estimate and quoted me $1000 for a $100 part) considered the medical circumstances a form of extortion or leverage and actually told me "You must hire me to do this job for $2000 - $3000 because the tenant is on a respirator." This was a 2 - 3 hr job. He took 5 hours to give me an estimate and did nothing for me.
Try grab bars.
schallman wrote:

schallman wrote:

How difficult it might be may depend on if its a wood floor over a basement or crawl space , or a concrete slab.
I would try to get a plumbers quote for the installation of a shower stall in place of the tub.
Its a handyman job if the plumbing drain pipe is accessible from under the floor .
Plonk!