How to stop sway of a tall cabinet?

Just put together a tall bathroom cabinet like this:

*13717*10136 The cabinet is skinny and tall so when I touch it on the side it sways. It rests on four adjustable metal legs. In reading the installation guide there are two holes on the top where you can screw the cabinet to the wall to stop the sway. Well my bathroom is an exterior bathroom with CBS construction and tiled walls, so I am not going to drill two holes through my tiles especially there is no furing strip behind it where I want to place this cabinet.

Any idea what I can do to stop the cabinet from swaying? Some sort of angles or cross brace?

orangetrader

If you are allowed to.. drill 1 or 2 holes in the tile with a masonry or tile bit and put in some plastic wall anchors and screw it to the wall. That will keep it from swaying.

*13717*10136>

Reply to
rednelb

i got a free toothbrush at the dentist today

*13717*10136>

Reply to
jeffery

*13717*10136>

The trick is to secure the back to the sides of the cabinet. If the back has some sort of floating back it will allow the sides to rack. if the sides are rigidly affixed to the back it will not.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

*13717*10136>

Well, you can't change the laws of physics, but you can fine-tune reality a little sometimes. Do what another poster said about gluing/stapling/whatever the back all the way around, so the thing acts more like a box than a house of cards. Make sure the floor is level underneath, and it isn't rocking on a tile hump or carpet tack strip. Adjust the legs so it leans back ever-so-slightly, so it doesn't want to fall forward and stuff doesn't roll off shelves. Put something real heavy in the bottom shelf, like a fake plant in a gallon pot of BBs or pennies. And if you don't want to mess up the wall, tie off the top with industrial velcro (if it is close enough), or a couple of those big hooks with the magic adhesive that lets go when you pull the tab, tied to a loop of clear monofiliment fish line run through the mounting holes the manufacturer supplied in the cabinet.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

A possible solution would be to use a velcro patch. Should hold well on tile and be removeable. Don't know for how long the velcro will hold tho.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

a gallon pot of BB or pennies... that is alot of pennies or BBs. It would work though

Reply to
rednelb

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:13:19 GMT "jeffery" used 25 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

You're dentist works Saturdays? Weird.

Reply to
G. Morgan

*13717*10136>

A strip of double sided foam tape ought to stick the back to the tile wall just fine. If it doesn't lie close enough to the wall, use two strips of tape with a spacer in between.

You might also want to put a few pieces of the same tape on the bottom edges to keep it in place on the floor if someone bumps into it. Double sided foam tape can be released if you decide to move the cabinet by sawing it with a bread knife.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Epoxy a 1/2" thick ply strip (maybe 2" wide) to the tile. Allow a day or two to cure, then screw the cabinet to the ply. A tall cabinet, bookcase, clock, or tall-whatever should always be fastened at the top to prevent tipping.

Reply to
Phisherman

Use some self-adhesive velcro strips at the top of the cabinet. If a spacer is necessary to contact the wall, attach it using the existing holes.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman