How to Stop Fence from Leaning ?

Page 2 of 2

On Wed 17 Mar 2010 10:04:46a, utilitarian told us...

Are your fence posts set in concrete? Probably not. We have had a similar experience caused by dealing with a less than desirable contractor. We were assured our posts were set in concrete, but in checking out a few of the posts we found either no concrete or a few handfuls. We ultimately disassembled the fence and reset the posts in a two foot depth of concrete. No problems since then.

As others have pointed out, the force of the wind on the fence is huge. The posts may be not deep enough, or improperly set, or rotted, etc. If you are really as utilitarian as your name says, you could brace the fence as follows: drive stakes (metal or wood) into the ground a couple feet away from the fence, leaving just a couple inches sticking up above the ground. Then run diagonal braces from the stakes up to the fence posts. Done properly, this will add a lot of strength against the wind. However, (a) it will be ugly as sin, (b) you'll trip over them, (c) it'll be a pain to mow around. On the other hand if you have, say, bushes along the fence, you might get away with it.